If horse meat was sold in the US, would you eat it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Currently it is illegal to slaughter horses in the US for meat. Horses are bought in bulk at auction, herded into a crowded cattle truck and shipped to Canada or Mexico for slaughter. Horses also can carry diseases like encephalitis which causes brain infection, or West Nile virus and NOT show signs of illness. Kinda like mad cow disease.....you won't know if you've eaten infected meat until it's too late.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:42 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• No. I'm kind of weirded out by all the "other" meat. I typically stick to the beef/pork/chicken/fish meats. I do enjoy deer meat, though. Someone tried to get me to eat squirrel once, and for some unknown reason, I just found the thought very unappealing.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:39 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Ummm no!! I like horse, kinda like eatin a dog!! But who can say if ur hungry enuf maybe, who knows??
    katmills0884

Answer by katmills0884 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• No.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I might try it.
    111707Mama

Answer by 111707Mama at 12:58 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• eh. i dont know. we are cattle ranchers, love horses, have horses. have great respect for horses. i asked my DH, and he said no-out of his love and respect for them. but im thinking-we hunt, and we eat all sorts of wild game, or game we dont have access to, we dont think it odd that kind of meat is consumed (buffalo, emu, deer, bear, elk, wild hog, etc). but at the same time, it does seem weird to think of "horse ranchers" who have herds of 4,000 horses they are producing for consumption (like we do with cattle). eh. i still dont know. i guess i would try it.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 1:03 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• they do kill horses already that are old or unwanted its called the clue factor around where i live, i have saved as many as i can hubby gets mad at me when i come home with 10 horses from that place then i would give them to family so they would have good homes
    semiwife

Answer by semiwife at 1:09 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• No. We don't actually eat a ton of meat, and I can't give you a real reason for it. But I love horses and had the pleasure of learning to ride in high school and the thought is unreasonably horrible for me. (could be my hormones)
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:50 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• People are going to get pissed at me, let me say I do have pets!! But I think instead of killing shelter animals just because, process the meat. People are starving, either not enough food stamps or they don't qualify, the scenarios are endless. With more meat on the market, there would be different price ranges (think steak vs gizzards) and everybody could afford to eat meat. Yes it's sad that so many animals are killed, but take advantage of it. People in other countries eat cat and dog and they are fine, they say it's a little greasy but tastes like chicken. But yes, I would eat horse meat, probably in a stew because I imagine it's tough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• horse meat???...umm no... ewww..horses are not meant to be eaten
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:16 AM on Jan. 9, 2009