How were you raised?

Did your parent's raise you with a religion background? If so are you still religious? If not, are you still not religious?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 12:34 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I was raised in a church by very strict parents. We were made to go to church . I got away from church because it was forced upon me....HOWEVER I am now back in church and I go two times a week and I love it. I have been healed of cancer and have been disabled and going to church and God are the love of my life. Remember children learn what they see and hear. You can take a child to church and not force it on them . There are childrens church and Bible study just don't force them to go. I worked as a nurse for over thirty years, I was a single mom and I went to church occasionally, my daughter went to church every opportunity she had is now a very devout christian and sings for her Lord. She was in the Singing Churchwomen Choir and went to Thailand on a mission trip . And I thank God that she was interested enough to go. I was a working mom who didn't get enough mom time God Bless All
    POMMOM335

Answer by POMMOM335 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I was raised Baptist. When I was 18, my then fiance/ present husband and I switched to Assembly of God, attended and A/G college, and are now ministers with the Ohio District of the Assemblies of God. Our oldest daughter (24) is also credentialed as an A/G minister and our oldest son (17) is very involved in ministry as well. Our 2 youngest ( 2 & 3) will be raised the same.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:54 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I was raised having religion shoved down my throat Sunday AM, PM, Monday night youth group, Wed bible study, door knocking on Sat. EVERY WEEK. I believe in God, I believe in the Bible..I do NOT believe God wants me to go sit in a church full of hypocrits 4 times a week. I left the church shortly after getting married.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I was raised Southern Baptist and now I am an atheist.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 3:09 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I was raised United Methodist.

Can't stand that church now.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:29 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I was raised Catholic, and though I as an adult find religion very interesting, and I am very educated in many religions....I myself am not religious. Honestly I don't belive in God....but I do respect those that seek religion, and what religion has to offer those that need it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I don't think my parents raised me in any religion. My dad is agnostic (grew up Catholic). My mom was non-denominational I guess. She never went to church but tried out many denominations in her youth.
    I went to Catholic school for 13 years because of the quality of education, not the religious stuff so it was never really discussed in our house (unless I had a religion test coming up). I didn't do any of the Sacraments since I was never Baptized and the only time I went to church was in school (once a week from 2nd-8th grades and about once a month in high school). We rarely talked about religion. My parents wanted us to choose for ourselves when we were ready.
    I'm an atheist now. No clue what my brother is. I started doubting everything I was taught in school when I was 9.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:19 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I was raised Catholic and I stopped going to church when I was 16, I don't believe in organized religion and the only time i will set foot in a church is for weddings and funerals.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I was raised by a religious family. My dad is Baptist, my mother is Methodist...but around my teen years I really started questioning things, and now I don't believe at all. Neither does my SO who was raised to be religious, and while I don't think it is something we would discourage our children from practicing, we wont be introducing religion to them.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:20 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Religion was nonexistent in my family growing up and it still is nonexistent in mine. My kids can practice whatever religion they want when they are older, but I am grateful my parents did not force a religion on me. My husband was a Catholic but he doesn't follow religion anymore either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jan. 9, 2009