What are would be the first thing you would buy your toddler?

I'm just curious what the first thing you would buy your toddler would be (beyond necessities). Would it be a toy? A book? Something educational? A CD? A high end outfit?

Personally, I like my son dressing in nice clothes. Not really high end but not the $2.50 shirts at Wal-mart either. I usually go for mid-ranged clothing and I bargain shop so I can get it at a good price. Next would come things I know will help his development. Markers, crayons, books, blocks, etc. are next on the list. I've been through schooling and can easily determine the educational value of toys. After that would be books just because he has so many he doesn't really need any new ones.

JasonsMom2007

Asked by JasonsMom2007 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son has a variety of things markers and books and toys and clothes he has more close than my DD lol....but this may sound HORRIBLE but he loves his movies he usuallly gets to watch one once aa day and he is a happy camper somtimes he watches two but that is because i am going to school online and i have tons of homework to do so i do some during the day and then some at tnight but....he mostly gets a lot of toys lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I buy clothes and shoes for my daughter. I just bought her five pairs of name brand shoes. I dont care really care so much about shopping for myself anymore. Ask long as my baby is dressed right I could care less what I look like. I am also buying her a new bedding set, and completely redoing her room so that she has a big girl room instead of a baby room. New art work and rugs and throw pillows.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 1:41 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• You would be better off putting the money you spend on clothing, room redecorating, toys, etc., in a savings account for college. When your kids turn 17 or 18 yrs old, their fancy baby clothing, flawless rooms, etc., will not get them into college They are only babies for a very short time, you need to think of their future and how you will be able to help them then. They are not going to remember the cute clothes you bought for them, or the creative way you decorated their room; what they will remember is, how you planned ahead for their future and had their best interests in mind, by saving money for their college tuition. Trust me, been there, done that! My daughter is 26 yrs old, and, her Dad and I are still facing at least 10 more yrs of student loans to pay off! I'd give anything if I had all the money I spent on her clothing, toys, etc., as a baby/toddler, today! And, she doesn't remember ANY of it!
    grovelady

Answer by grovelady at 3:15 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It depends on which kid...

For my oldest, it's books. And not just any book, science books. Science books, science kits...anything even remotely scientific (and no specific area either) He's 4.

For my second...puzzles. He's our puzzle KING. Jigsaw puzzles, puzzle games, puzzle magazines (matching, tracing, mazes, finding differences, etc...) He's 3.

For the third....he's tough. LOL Probably something to do with superheroes though. lol

As for college...we're starting a bit of a savings account for them, but they will pay their college. We will help as we can, but student loans and other financial aid will be their responsibility. We did it, so can they...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:00 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• We are starting a savings account for our son as well. $30/month is automatically going to come out of our checking account and go in his savings. Another $30/month is going in our savings. As far as I'm concerned that is a necessity and I'm talking AFTER necessities :)

"You would be better off putting the money you spend on clothing, room redecorating, toys, etc., in a savings account for college. "
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2009