PIOF-? doc asked me, weird or acceptable?

I have two toddlers. Younger one had a well baby visit, and the doctor was like, is it easier raising him than the older one? This surprised me, so I answered Well, I wouldn't know, because I'm still raising both of them! But she pressed the issue; yeah, but is he an easier baby? I don't like to compare kids to each other, even my own, so I answered well, they both have their pluses and minuses lol. Did I blow her questions out of context, or am I right in thinking it was a bit, for lack of a better word, rude?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i dont think there was any reason to take offense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Don't take it personally. She had her reasons. From what I hear the second is usually easier. If not then there may be something going on with the child, developmentally or the parent with coping. Either way, it is her job to find out and help. (I say from what I hear because my second was not easier. LOL)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I agree...I"m not sure why you're offended. My 2nd one is easier to me b/c I know what I'm doing now and have a game plan
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• my DD is A LOT easier than my DS is my DD is 15 months and my son 2....close in age but i have my good days and i have my bad days lol
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 1:25 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I would have been annoyed. If she wanted a direct answer she should have asked a direct question and cited her reasons for inquiring.
    I would have answered like you.
    MY job may be easier the second time around, just because I understand better what I'm doing- but kids have different personalities and temperaments.. Where one child may not have done ___ the other child might.. But the first child probably did ___, while the second one was much more relaxed about it..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 2:38 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Maybe she is getting ready for her second and so she was asking for personal reason. Maybe she does not have that many with kids the ages of yours and felt that you would answer the question. You have questions so do doctors.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 9:26 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I dont see anything wrong with the question. I have found my second was easier then my first because he wasn't "new" to me. I knew a lot with the first but with the second I knew more. The third is even easier in some ways. She or He wasn't asking you to choice a child you like better just asking to see if its easier the second time around, who knows maybe he or she is having their second child or thinking about having another,maybe had a hard time with their first and wants to make sure two is easier. I think people take things about their children too personally. People ask question to learn, everyday we learn something new. Cafe-Mom was put here to help other Moms, would you be offended if someone on here asked the same question? I thought this is what we are here.... to help other moms who are going through or went through what we did. Remember we are all teachers in this world!
    threeBoysMommy

Answer by threeBoysMommy at 9:36 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I'm not very fond of her anyway, but there are very few pediatricians where I live. She's past the child-bearing age, she's not old but she doesn't want anymore, hers are all teens. She never noticed when my first had thrush, for 8 mos he had thrush and I got it in my breast from bf, but she said it was normal that my boobs hurt and never even looked at us. Finally when I realized she wouldn't help me, I looked up online what it could be, told her we had thrush, and she acted nonchalant about her lack of catching it. There are a few more instances like this, but I really don't like her lol. I wasn't really offended by her ?'s, just thought they were odd, she could have phrased it "Does it get easier" instead of "Is this one a better baby?" like my first one is a devil baby (some would say lol)
    Anonymous