traveling with a 1 year old and a 2 1/2 year old on a plain......any pointers?

my son is very crazy cant ever sit still and my daughter is very good but I am from wa and went to La last time with just my son it was so hard through security and everything even on the plain for 6 hours and now we are going to flordia so any ideas? on how to make it a somewhat calm flight ?

soldierswife11

Asked by soldierswife11 at 12:39 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make sure you have something for them to drink or suck on at takeoff and landing and have a pain reliever on you just in case. Make sure to pack at least 1 set of extra clothes for everyone and extra diapers and underwear if your 2.5 y/o is potty trained. Take along a few new toys that are wrapped as well for a nice surprise as well as movies and a portable DVD player or laptop with headphones and an adapter so you can plug in two sets. Crayons and paper are great too as well as a deck of cards. Let them move around as much as possible before boarding and in between flights if you have a layover. Sorry this is so long but I've been traveling with my son since he was 6 weeks old, he's 2 now, and I've learned a lot. If you have any other questions or want some more suggestions feel free to message me.
    afeggan

Answer by afeggan at 12:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• when we travel with my 2 1/2 year old very active niece i noticed my sister has a bag full of snacks, her favorite toys and a portable mini dvd player with all her favorite movies so she can choose whatever she likes to watch. also she goes very early so she has enought time for the unpredictable situations like bathroom stops and lost teddy bears etc

you know your kids best so i would suggest just pack everything that keeps them occupied for the longest amount of time! good luck
    glossyblack

Answer by glossyblack at 1:20 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Make sure you have lots of toys and snacks for them. If your kids can sit still get on the plane first, if not wait until the end. The back of the plane is the best place to sit, you interrupt less people if your kids are cranky and you're closer to the bathroom and flight attendants if you need them. If you need to, ask the attendants to have people move so you can the room you need. Most people are more than willing to move seats for a family or to get away from young kids.

afeggan