Do you believe that, since the election, people's true colors have come out?

I feel that we as a country prided ourselves in taking strides toward ending racism or at least having racial tolerance but since the election of Obama I feel that there are people whose true colors are shining through. While I don't believe that every Republican or person who didn't vote for Obama is racist I am alarmed at how many people now spew stereotypical bile and clearly racist point of views without the batting of an eye. Basically what I am asking is if this is a case of, "the more things change the more they stay the same?"

micrespo

Asked by micrespo at 1:28 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I beg to differ. "True colors" ARE bad when those colors are racist and bigoted.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:55 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• That is a good point. Kind of like one step forward, two steps back. I can't give up hope that we will eventually learn about eachother and learn to love and care more for individuals. I will not give up that hope even when there are comments using racial stereotypes.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:42 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I continue to live in my rose colored world. I have not seen any of this personally and I hope not to.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:51 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I think many who voted for Obama need to realize just because someone did not vote for him does not mean they are racist. Obama and Democrats have made race an issue and opened healing wounds. You need to come up with solutions to heal those wounds now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Most people voted for Obama because he is black. You don't have to admit it, but it is the truth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I have to agree with anon 3:20... many of my colleagues voted Obama because they "wanted to be a part of history". While I voted for McCain, I am relieved to hear some of Obama's plans for the economy are not exactly leftist liberal socialism any more. Actually, alot of his plans seem more Reganesque economics rather than social program oriented. I don't think he's going to do exactly what he promised for the lower income levels, but what the heck - I'll give him a try.
    But he does seem to be a little more realistic now.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:15 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I think that those with extreme views are being touted in the media as the average Republican that didn't vote for Obama. When all they show are racist backwoods idiots, people come to see the entire party that way. Normal, rational, people don't make the news.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Yes, especially on the minority side. Over 90% of all blacks voted for Obama. Must be their true colors coming out. What's with the post? You're not stirring the pot today are you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• And being called racist because someone didn't vote for him is another form of your "true colors coming out". So yeah, People's true colors are coming out, on the opposite side of what you intended with this post.
    Stop using the race card, you're not qualified.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• We have removed at least one answer from this question. Moms are looking for responses from other members that address the question they have asked. Please don't post judgmental answers, they're not appreciated and will be removed by the CafeMom Team.

::The CafeMom Admin Team
    CafeMom Admin

Answer by CafeMom Admin at 8:28 AM on Jan. 9, 2009