I'm a new mommy

What do I need to do to be more prepared before the baby's arrival?

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 1:53 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• #1 Buy the book 'what to expect in the first year' ...and ...read it cover to cover! It is a wealth of information!

#2 Relax! Enjoy every moment!

#3 Take oooodles of pictures!

Congrats and good luck!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 2:05 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• You might consider taking the birth/newborn class at your local hospital. Mine had newborn care as well --- cleaning the umbilical cord, diaper changes, babies first few baths, breast feeding advice... It was pretty helpful in chasing away some of the basic anxiety.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:09 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Actually, regarding that book 'what to expect the first year', my MIL gave me that book and I thought it was horrible. It had some passages that referred to the baby's cries as pathetic and things like that. Also, every solution in that book is to let the baby CIO. I ended up throwing it out.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:09 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Trust your instincts.
    Your baby always has a reason for crying.
    You cannot spoil your baby/
    Do what your baby needs, not what people on message boards suggest you "have" to do or else it will never be independent of you.
    Realize that babies do NOT sleep through the night, so don't try to force it to.
    Solids are NOT recommended until 6 months.
    No, your baby is NOT constipated- babies do NOT have to poop every day- or even every week.
    Use common sense and avoid the answers section here.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 2:28 AM on Jan. 9, 2009