Earrings?

I've had my ears pierced since I was 8 years old. Probably sometime in high school, my ears started getting REALLY sore when I'd wear earrings. I've tried hypo-allergenic, nickle-free, sterling silver, gold, etc. They all make my ears really sore...almost right when I put them in. Does anyone have any suggestions for what kind of metal might not hurt me?

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Health

• Definitely platinum, i have the same problems as you do and platinum is all I can use
    cougarkristi

Answer by cougarkristi at 11:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• you can try platnum i now a couple of peaple who are alergic to every metal but platnum
    lovelyme1006

Answer by lovelyme1006 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Not a clue, but I have this happen too, and so does my "almost 7 year old daughter." I really only wear a pair of diamond studs that my mom gave me when I turned 21 once in awhile. I've also noticed my sensitivity seems higher as I get older. :(
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• have you tried the plastic posts? some people are very sensitive to ALL metals. You can also try and clean the earrings and your holes with rubbing alchoal before you insert them. but I think your probally sensitive to metals.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I have that same problem. It's sad, eh? My hubby got me diamond earrings about 6 years ago and I used to wear those everyday up until about a year ago. Now, I cannot put those in for part of the day without getting infections. :( I loved my earrings. Also, my wedding ring set is platinum and for some reason lately I have been getting eczema from it....cannot wear it without my fingers getting raw! :(
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 12:45 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I do not know about earings, but I know that with rings if the metal is causing you problems you can paint the inside of the ring with clear nail polish and that will keep the metal from irritating your skin.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 4:55 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• yeah what jazak said paint it with clear nail polish and use plastic backs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• "Simply Whispers" is a company that makes jewelry that is totally hypoallergenic. They have a website, just do a search for "Simply Whispers"
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:20 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• plastic posts or a platinum post... those are the ones i have to use.. I have a habit of not wearing earrings for a long time and if i put in a pair of any regular kind they hurt within minutes.. so i started wearing platinum post earrings and leave them in for a few days then i'm able to wear any kind of metal post... (also go to a local piercing hut and buy one of the bottles of cleaner they sale- cheapest ones are at a piercing store in a mall)
    mfialdrdickhaus

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 12:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• It's usually the nickel in jewlery that people are sensitive to. And, nickel can be found in a lot of different things, it's even a filler for real gold. Like say if you have 14K gold, then there are 14 parts gold and 10 parts some other metal (usually nickel). Try using nickel free earings. Also, try just applying a coat of clear nail polish to the posts, my husband is allergic to nickel also and this works for the back of his watch. Also, you can find earings that have plastic backs to them.
    melissaraeby

Answer by melissaraeby at 1:02 AM on Jul. 22, 2008