is this a contraction?

im having constant hardness then suddenly it gets even harder (didnt seem like it is possibly but it did) and it spreads throughout my belly and absolutely takes my breathe away... please dont make fun of me lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Start timing when you get the hardness, time how long it is, and how long in between. If they go away when you change positions, empty your bladder, walk, etc then they are braxton hicks. Call your doc in a hour after you started timing and tell him if there's a pattern to them and ask what to do. Or, call anyways and say "I'm experiencing this, what should I do?" They're there for you and they're on call to answer your questions
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:16 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It sure sounds like it - how far along are you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• im 36 weeks...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Well it's probably a Braxton Hicks. A real contraction feels like period cramps but way worse, like it will make you cry. Because it is the worst pain in the whole world. Braxton Hicks can take your breath away, remember, your uterus is huge in the later parts of pregnancy. Real contractions will hurt so bad that you can't speak and tears come to your eyes because you will not be able to control how you are feeling. It hurts really bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Sounds like braxton hicks to me...I had them strong like that closer to the end.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• i never said it didnt bring tears. ive been cramping for a few days and it feels like period cramps i cringe when i get it and i dont even want my SO to touch my belly it feels so weird i and ugh i just dont want him to.... constant back pain as well...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• If you absolutely cannot do anything during it, it's a contraction. If you're able to talk fine, walk around, whatever, it's either not a real contraction or not a strong one. But if it's happening frequently, and it's all you can do to breathe through it, get your hiney to the hospital or on the phone to your doctor - who cares how late it is!
    Anonymous

• well if youre concerned then go to the hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• this is my first baby so i dont know what is normal or not and what is really contractions or not. ive already had preterm labor theyve been having to stop me contracting and even then i didnt even know when i WAS contracting so like i said i just dont know ....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Momma, when in doubt, call your doctor - it's what they're there for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Jan. 9, 2009