Any ideas or suggestions to make it easier using a nasal aspirator on a 6 monthold?

My 6 mo. old has a horrible cold and as soon as she sees the aspirator she starts screaming. How can I make it a little easier for the both of us?

becky1204

Asked by becky1204 at 2:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think they all hate it. I would! But I tell my baby, "a baby's gotta do, what a baby's gotta do" LOL and that means get their nose sucked out.
    What I do sometimes if he's putting up a fight is swaddle him up nice and tight. Then you don't have to worry about the little hands grabbing. Then hold his head steady with one hand and the other does the bulb.
    Also, if you aren't doing this already- use saline spray first to loosen everything up.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:12 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• When my babies were babies, I would do one of two things - the first sounds worse than it is, the second is better but you have to be strong! I'd lay them down on the floor or bed, put one of my legs over their legs so they couldn't kick/push, put my other leg around their head (cradling it in my knee basically), use one arm to hold their arms down or their face straight, and my other hand to suck the snot. Other way: cradle them, but with the arm nearer you around behind your back, head tucked firmly to your breast, arm holding their free arm firmly to them, and other arm with the snot sucker. Hope it makes sense, I can't think of a better way to do it! Oh - if baby has a favorite blanky you can try snuggling it to baby's head & partially over the eyes so they keep them closed 7 don't see.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:12 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My son always hated it too, so instead I would take a box of cotton swabs, and a face tissue...lay the tissue out above his head (out of his arms reach) and then I would swab out his nose. He liked it much better because it didn't suck the breath out of him. You need to have a strong stomach to do that but he started blowing his nose when he was about 14mos, so it didn't last forever.

Good luck to you, I hope your baby feels better.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 2:19 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Yep...brute strength and hold them down. It did get a little easier for us when we'd kind of be more goofy about it.....

"Let me get those boogies...." (in a sing-songy voice) Stupid I know, but distracted them just a bit....

There also comes a point when you just quit. The more they cry and scream, the more snot they produce....

We found the easiest time to do it is during diaper changes (saline drops first, change diaper, then snot sucker) or while steaming in the bathroom when it gets nice and runny.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:51 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I show Gauge the sucker and let him see me headed for his nose...He's been ok with that...If she still hates it, they say saline drops are enough..Just wipe her nose..
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 10:33 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My baby quit freakin out when i would do it in the mirror. she didnt like to be snuck up on. now she sees it coming in the mirror and is ready for it.
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 9, 2009