he wont go to sleep!!

okay so my son was put down to bed at like 8pm it is now 12:06 and he's still up.. he cries when i tell him to go to bed. i tried the sippy he's had alike 20 cups since he went to bed... and uhhg he's driving me nuts i dont know what to d owith him!!! help.. any suggestions?

MommaBear1129

Asked by MommaBear1129 at 3:07 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know 8 p.m. seems like an early bedtime, but it's possible that he's overtired and too wound up to sleep. At 22 months, I had had enough of the late bedtimes with my son, and I took some advice here and there, put it all together, and came up with a plan. First of all, every day from 3:30 to 5 p.m. I tried to get his energy out at the park. Back home, I gave him dinner at 5:30 p.m., a bath at 6, and at 6:30 p.m. it was pj's, milk, bedtime stories. I put him in bed, tuck him in, give him a kiss, and tell him to close his eyes, go to sleep, and have sweet dreams. I sit across the room and he is sound asleep in less than 10 minutes without a fuss or a fight, continued ...

FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 3:17 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• continued .... It was tough at first because he would not stay in bed.  Once I told him goodnight, that was it.  I did not speak another word.  The house was dark and quiet, so there was nothing to do and nothing for him to miss.  His toys are not in his room either.  Every time he'd get out of bed, I would silently put him back down, tuck him in, and sit back down in the chair.  Within 3-4 nights, he was done with that.  My consistency and stubbornness won that battle.  Thanks Supernanny, lol.

FreeHomeBiz

• can he tell you what he wants? maybe he needs you to rub his back or tell him a bedtime story or kiss him goodnight... or just leave him in his room until he gets tired :p
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:18 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• freemombiz thats a really good idea!! i shall start tomorrow with that one!!!

aliciatron.. well i not really.. he just gets up and comes to the door. and then i gave him a story. i talked to him and i gave him a night night kiss nand yes nothing worked..

he fell asleep at one.. he kept getting up and comign to the door when i said back to bed he cried i got up and tucked him in and talked t ohim and what not.. and he finally fell asleep!! its 1:46.. yay!! lol
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 4:46 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Bring as much routine in your daily activities. A warm bath and then right to bed works great. Dont give him anything to drink right before bed. Dont let him fall asleep during day so avoid trips with the car later on the day. Dont let him watch telly right before bed. The images will go through his mind while he's in bed.

It all comes down to routine and sticking to it. This will make your life easier also.
    Noyo

Answer by Noyo at 6:57 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I know that my youngest has a harder time going down when our routine is different. One night my mom kept the kids and the youngest would not go down good because she did what you are saying. I close the door and unless it sounds like she hurts herself I do not open the door. My mom layed in there with her and tried to help her go to sleep because she can not stand to hear her cry. Now when the kids were switched to the big kid bed then I stayed with them for awhile and kept them still then I would leave and if they got up then I would go in and put them back in bed until they layed still and quit playing.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 9:22 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I put mine down at 8:30 and is awake at 3:30 to eat something! He eats a normal dinner, then snack before bed. I think he is on a growth. I am here this a lot with Moms the same age. I wonder if its an age thing? Did you do anything new to his room? Did you change him into a bed yet? How about snacks or dinner, did that change ~time, what you are feeding him?, maybe something isnt sitting well with him? Mine wakes to eat then he has a drink and back to bed by 4... then I am up again at 6:30. He has been doing this now for about two weeks. We tried to feed him later and a heavier snack but its not working. Good Luck
    threeBoysMommy

Answer by threeBoysMommy at 9:28 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I hate to say it but I've had nights like that with mine. some times what you have to do is put them to bed and leave them there and ignore the crying and the calls for you. let them cry them selves to sleep. it may seem mean but it works and they have to learn that you won't come running everytime they call for you. also try giving your child a warm bath before bed and give them less to drink before bed. and with letting them cry them selves to sleep it some times takes more then one night for them to understand that you aren't going to come running. also try to feed your child at least an hour befor bed time other wise the food may be sitting to heavy in there stomic and causing sleep problems.-- that"s all I can think of for now -- good luck!!
    Trinity380

Answer by Trinity380 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• thank you!!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2009