How young was your "gay" son when you first noticed he might be?

I know most of my gay friends parents have told me that looking back, they always knew there son was gay...some have said even as young as the toddler years they thought their son might be gay...since sexuality is something you are born with, and children as young as 18 months begin to explore their sexuality, I think this could be possible...anyway, my question is...How old was he when you first thought he might be gay? and why? Asking because we think ss might be....but he is young (we don't care either way, and I realize it will be years before he even knows his sexuality...just got me thinking)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• It isnt my son but my brother. I think that we noticed something as early as preschool, when he wouldnt go to school bc none of his clothes matched.. :)
    Idk.. but his bf is absolutely gorgeous and it isnt fair :P
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• my son is 3 and i think he might be. i really could care less who he likes but has shown strong tendencies to be more attracted to stuff that is female. obsessed with my shoes/accessories, wants a pink coat. prefers girls as playmates. kisses the boys... wants to be the mommy not the daddy... idk! lol ... like i said, he is lucky we are super liberal and dont care and would never judge him, it might also be a phase as he is soo young...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I don't have a son that is gay but i have had many,many gay friends that say they always knew there was something diffrent about themselves.But they really understood when they where hitting around the 6th grade and pubrity started knocking at the door.But if your child is showing those signs just love him anyway forever and support him though whatever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• When I was little I hated dolls, tea parties and jump rope. I played cars, trucks, mud, tree houses and absolutely refued to wear girlie clothes.
    I am 37 now still don't like dresses, don't get upset if I break a nail, wear very little makeup but I think my husband is hot. I don't find an sexual attraction to women. I think in everyone we have stronger tendencies to our mom or dad. I don't think that predetermines our sexuality. I wouldn't go looking into it this young. I would show your child your relationship with your spouse is loving and the more he sees that is a good thing the more likely he is to marry someone like his mommy..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It was clearly with my brother that he was gay at the age of 4/5. He wanted to be the princes while playing with my mums weddinggown, wanted to be a ballerina instead of a soccerplayer etc. All the cliche stuff happend. You notice it very quickly, I've developed a nose for it;0)
    Noyo

Answer by Noyo at 9:43 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It's still to early to know for sure, but I have a nephew who is pretty feminine and say to my sister "That boy is not going to have a wife" jokingly, but who knows?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• How young can you really tell for sure? Because for toddlers and preschoolers a lot of behavior is mimicing. My cousins son likes to play with high heals and curling irons b/c his mom and sister do. But he also likes trucks and fans (weird kid!) and "boy" things. Is preschool/school age a reasonable age to really take notice? Even if you like girls stuff as a boy, that odesn't mean you will grow up to be gay. Hard to tell.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I think its to early for you to tell. I have a brother inlaw that is only 5 and he does some "weird" stuff. But my family thought I would end up gay, and I'm married to my husbend. I'm the type that dont wear dresses, makeup or get my nails or hair done. I just dont like it. I was the kind to scrape my knee and run to my dad and say "dosent it look cool?!" So it could just be a phase. Or he could be metrosexual. (acts gay, but is strait)
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 11:39 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Me and the birth mom of my oldest stepson have questioned whether or not he is gay...several of my friends have wondered too. He is 7, but theres just something there that makes me wonder, ya know?

It won't be a problem either way...his mother and I and his father don't care, and he would have lots of support from us and our friends, if he did end up being gay.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 12:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• When my nephew was three I noticed that he preferred more girly things to do. He loved playing dress up, with barbies etc. He asked me for a little mermaid doll at the age of four. I never made a deal of this I loved him unconditionally. My husband would get mad at me for encouraging him to play with girl stuff. It just what he wanted to do, he also liked playing at the park but I noticed he gravitated playing with girls. He came out when he was 18, the family was kinda in shock and horrified. I was okay with this I always wanted him to know that he was special and loved. His sex preference never mattered. Now our family has adjusted. I believe you are born Gay, this is not a easy life to live.  Family members believe gay is a sin, I believe my nephew was created by Gods love and this is who he is ment to be.

Anonymous