How young was your "gay" son when you first noticed he might be?

I know most of my gay friends parents have told me that looking back, they always knew there son was gay...some have said even as young as the toddler years they thought their son might be gay...since sexuality is something you are born with, and children as young as 18 months begin to explore their sexuality, I think this could be possible...anyway, my question is...How old was he when you first thought he might be gay? and why? Asking because we think ss might be....but he is young (we don't care either way, and I realize it will be years before he even knows his sexuality...just got me thinking)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• I realy don't sence that about any of my kids but I have a gay uncle and my mother said she just always knew it was nothing shocking when he came out. He always wanted to play with the girls and girls toys from early on. he would take my mother dolls, have tea parties with her, never wanted anything to do with boys toys. He always had to have his hair long and was more into clothing than she was growing up.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 6:27 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I have a gay nephew and I think we all knew pretty a long time before he admitted it. With all kids you should teach safe sex (oral included) but it's easier to catch AIDS thru anal because the lining is so thin it tears no matter how gentle you have sex..
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 6:55 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My best friend's son is 18 now, but came out of the proverbial closet last year... I knew he was gay back when I met him when he was 3.. he was very effeminate, loved playing with girl things, and was just as we used to refer to him as "a pansie"..
    Don't get me wrong, we NEVER called that to his face.. that would be mean.
    Zanny

Answer by Zanny at 7:40 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• i'm a teacher and every year i usually have at least 1 gay kid in my class, and i taught 3rd grade so i had them when they were about 8 years old. it was obvious, but then i again, i was with them when they interacted with friends, so it was fairly easy for teachers to spot them. but then being a teacher, you tend to be color blind, that means you don't see what color of their skins and i think include what their sexuality are. gay or str8, as long as they're good people and have good hearts, right? : )
    KaydensMom99

Answer by KaydensMom99 at 8:27 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I always wonder if any of the kids we assume are gay wind up not being gay???? Some effeminate guys aren't gay....but then again, are they just in denial? I think it will be great in time when being gay is more and more accepted so everyone can just be what they are and not have to hide it. The denial issues have caused more problems than anything...So as parents, I think the best thing we can do is just be accepting no matter what, and NOT to make too many assumptions!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:37 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I don't think any of my children are gay - my boys are 6,7& 8 years old .
    I would expect to notice young , but you never know .
    Looking back on highschool there were a couple of guys who are openly gay now , NEVER in a million years would I have guessed it back then ...
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 8:47 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I've met many guys in my life (through work or friends) that I just assumed were gay because they seemed slightly effeminate. But turned out I was wrong! I also have some gay men friends that you would never in a million years guess they were gay because they seem totally traditionally straight. Making assumptions based on stereotypes is dangerous - especially in children. Just let them be who they are without second guessing their nature. They will eventually find their own path and it really doesn't matter what path that is anyway.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• i think everyone makes a reasonable assumption in his or her days, cuz i think you'd be lying if you said you've never done it. however, if you don't act on it or open your big mouth and hurt others' feeling, it should be harmless.
    KaydensMom99

Answer by KaydensMom99 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2009