Israel evacuates civilians to a house, tells them to stay inside and then bombs them.

At least 30 people were killed in the Zeitoun district of Gaza after Israeli troops repeatedly shelled a house to which more than 100 Palestinians had been evacuated by the Israeli military, the UN said today.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), said it was "one of the gravest incidents since the beginning of operations" against Hamas militants in Gaza by the Israeli military on 27 December.

OCHA said the incident took place on 4 January, a day after Israel began its ground offensive in Gaza.

According to testimonies gathered by the UN, Israeli soldiers evacuated around 110 Palestinians to a single-storey house in Zeitoun, south-east Gaza. The evacuees were instructed to stay indoors for their own safety but 24 hours later the Israeli army shelled the house with rockets. Around half the Palestinians sheltering in the house were children, OCHA said.

How can we say Israel is the victim?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Israel is defending itself. I dont believe all the reports that come out because many of them are skewed reports or reports taken from people who want them to look bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Such a complicated issue....both sides feel like they can't back down one bit....I can't even judge it any more. It is a lose-lose situation.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:16 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Do you mean the media is one sided, incites controversy, and sensationalizes it's headlines and reports?! Go ahead....I'm listening!!!

slapping forehead

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• If these people were associated with Hamas, then Boo-Yah. For years, Israel has taken beatings and abuse and I'm proud to see them finally kicking butt.

Keep in mind terrorists train their children from a very young age to be terrorists. They can't count as Children, but as terrorists.
    dovetailthreads

Answer by dovetailthreads at 9:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• This is a war. Horrible things happen in a war. Pray for peace and let their God be the judge.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Children, as young as 5 months old, are now supposed Hamas members? People are celebrating "boo-yah" the slaughter of innocents, merely because they are the victims of Israel. Our media has so blinded us that we cannot see who the true victims are.   Children can no longer be seen as children?  5 month old babies are now terrorists.  

I can't believe this.  Israel herds helpless civilians into a single home and then bombs them and nobody is concerned?

I am truly sickened.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• So who started it this time? They are always fighting and they will always be fighting. I haven't payed much attention to it this time. It always seems like the same crap.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 12:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• this website provides good insight.

http://www.creative-i.info/?p=3402
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 12:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Another cafe mom posted something that more or less explains how I feel about this conflict. I soemwhat change her answers to point out my views. (still respectfully, giving her credit for her post)

there's a difference between Hamas militants & civilian population of Gaza. Israel could have taken Hamas quietly, could have sealed those tunnels quietly, they have one of the best intelligence in the area if not in the world, they're equipped to operate much more accurately & avoiding civilian casualties. The question now is not about Hamas being right (I do not agree with their methods), but rather about Israel doing unacceptable things. Again, just as in the case with the war in Lebanon in 2006 - it could have been done differently, sparing unnecessary casualties. continues

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 12:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I understand that this demonstration of power is an attempt to scare Hamas off, however if the goal is also to eliminate it - this could have been done much more efficiently with less casualties. The disproportional use of force is now what the world is raging about, not the Israeli right to defent it's people. Again, the question is about the excessive use of force & the use of weapons that's not allowed by the universal agreement which, if I am not mistaken, Israel didn't sign motivating it's right to use all effective means, regardless of how inhuman they might be. Hamas sends low distance rockets to strategic buildings, & the amount of casualties on the israeli side due to this offense cannot be compared to what's been done to palestinian people. continues

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 12:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2009