what does a cyst on a baby's brain during and ultra sound mean?

does that mean the baby has a chance of down syndrome?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Health

• Cysts are pockets of fluid and/or cells. During an ultrasound, a technician will check the choroid plexus for any dark spots, which may indicate fluid or a cyst. In the second trimester, any spot in the choroid that's bigger than 10 millimeters is considered a cyst worth mentioning. CPCs, which occur in as many as one in 40 normal pregnancies, are small cystic areas often found on routine second-trimester ultrasounds. Half the time, CPCs occur on one side of the brain only (unilateral), and the other half they're on both sides (bilateral). Well over 90% of CPCs disappear on their own by the 26th week of pregnancy without ever affecting the fetus.

Answer by gemgem at 7:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It can or trisomy 18 but go with what the above poster said. I had this with my first pregnancy and let me tell you they scared the chit out of me. Have you had another ultrasound since finding out? There is a greater chance in something being wrong if the cyst are larger but doesn't mean it will be. Don't let them talk you into getting an amnio but it's your choice if you want to. We decided no matter what may be wrong with our baby or what may happen we were going to keep him, even though we knew what the worst outcome may be. What to know anything else just pm me.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:02 AM on Jan. 9, 2009