Can they do this?

I didn't know what category to put this in, but if you are making an effort to pay whatever you can a month on a hospital bill, (at least $25 a month) can they send it to collections? Is there a law or anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Health

• They CAN give it to a collection agency to deal with, BUT as long as you're making regular payments of a set amount, they can NOT put it on your credit. Just keep it at that SET AMOUNT. If you're paying $25/mo... keep it that way. Don't send them $50 if you have extra money, because then they can "expect" $50 from you every month.

The hospital here does that. They have 3 or 4 options to pay, but if you can't make any of those, you can make an agreement with them to pay $"X" every month 'til it's paid off... you send the payments to their collection agency, but it's not put on your credit report unless you miss a payment
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• YES THEY CAN I THINK IT DEPENDS ON HOW LONG ITS OUTSTANDING.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 9:20 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• They cannot sue you in anyway for the money. Or put it in collections. Often times people think otherwise, but even if all you're paying is $1, then there is NOTHING they can do. Look into it, a close friend of mine was in this exact situation.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My aunt is in this situation. My cousin is 27, but when she was 14 or 15 she went into a center for an eating disorder. My aunt said "I can only afford 20 dollars a month." and they said okay, and she has NEVER missed a payment. They've called and come trying to scare her a bunch of times to get her to pay more, but she has never been late and that's the amount they SET on at the time...so they can't do anything. My cousin is 27 now and she is STILL paying them 20 bucks a month.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 11:24 AM on Jan. 9, 2009