I am quitting smoking!!! I need HELP!

I have decided to quit smoking after 8 years. It is my first day, and I already have headaches and I feel like I am going insane... Anyone else been through this? What do I do to help?

ProudMommie87

Asked by ProudMommie87 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Health

• I was just reading my parents magazine and they are doing a stop smoking campaign. You can go to the website and it will give you tips to stop smoking successfully and the best ways to be successful. The website is parentsquitforgood.com. Good Luck!
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 9:51 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Get a lot of things to keep your mouth busy like hard candy or popsicles, drink a lot of water. Take naps...call a friend who is a non smoker and go hang out to get your mind off of it. Go to a non smoking place like shopping. The best thing for me to do was keep myself busy for the first 3 days, I tried to avoid being bored cause that usually would trigger all the withdrawal symptoms.

Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 10:20 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I think a nicotine addiction gets out of your system pretty quickly... my father in law researched this and I think he said it's 1 or 2 weeks to be honest. so after a week, the nicotine addiction will be done with, so withdrawl symptoms like headaches from that will be gone rather quickly. so just hold out for a little longer!!
    What you are addicted to after that is the habit, so get some of those 100 calorie packs or popcorn and doritos and oreos and stuff and munch on those every now and then to be doing that motion with your hands. My dad ate suckers like crazy all the time but it's a LOT of sugar and it screwed up his teeth, lol. He smoked for over 40 years, 3 packs a day, so he had a hard time with it and the suckers actually helped with that action he was addicted to.
    GOOD LUCK! and BIG kudos for quitting for your health!
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 11:20 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• GOOD LUCK! Have you looking into joining some of the smoking cessation groups here on Cafemom. There is Buttkickers of Cafemom and a couple of others.

Quitting is hard! I did for a few weeks and then slipped back again. I am starting again on Monday. Some things that helped the first time were eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies and starting my day with a shower. The shower helped to get the smoke smell off of me and out of my hair. The 100 calorie packs are a great idea and also walking. Try to replace your bad habit with a good one. Instead of having a cigarette, take a walk (difficult if you live in a cold zone though, but I used a treadmill, LOL).

The headache is normal when quitting. You may think about taking some tylenol for that, at least until the withdrawl symptoms stop (after about 4 days or so). Hang in there, you WILL get through this and you will feel SO much better!
    Anonymous