How much play is enough??

My son's 7 months old..he LOVES to play on the floor and have free range of the living room, how ever I can't keep up with him at all. I'm chasing him all over because we have no gates in a circle to close him in, so he head's for the kitchen, hall etc...or he want's to pull himself up on everything and he fall's most of the time, I'm scared he's going to hurt himself. My question is basically..if he always after 10 mins cry's in his excersaucer, what the hell should I do with him...when I need to get cleaing done, or I just don't feel like playing on the floor ALL the time. I feel soooo guilty when he cry's out of what I think is bordom when he's in his excersaucer. Any suggestions what to do with him?? And is it wrong of me to leave him in his excersaucer for more hr's out of the day then he's on the floor to play?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let him go.

While he's standing, show him how to sit down (pull him gently at the hips). It's all part of the learning process.

As much as none of us wants our kids to be hurt...it happens. You can't be there to catch him every time he falls...he's not going to learn how to fall correctly so he doesn't get hurt.

And when he does fall, take a quick look and make sure he isn't hurt, but don't rush to him...they take cues from adults around them on how they should act. If he thinks that you think he should be hurt...he'll act hurt worse. If you know he bumped his head, but he's fine....just say "Oops! You fell down!" and kind of chuckle. You'd be surprised how fast he'll start falling and laughing!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:52 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• They should not be in the exersaucer more than about 15 minutes at a time according to OT's to whom I've spoken...other wise it can (not that it will, but it CAN) affect their gross motor development.

Get some gates and block the hall and the kitchen. He's pulling up now, and falling. It happens. He's going to start walking soon, and he'll fall...it happens. It's part of the learning process.

Get down on your hands and knees and baby proof.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:44 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• ya, i'm about to start the baby proofing thing...the problem isn't just the area he goes to..I can't take my eye's off him when he's crawling around even just in the livingroom..he pull's up on the tables and he doesn't know how to drop to his bum so he ends up falling backwards and hitting his head on the carpet of course, but he still slightly cry's and I just don't think it's good for his head lol. Or he wobbles a bit and nails his face on the table a bit some how. The other day he fell forward and wacked his own face off his toy..HE also freaks out in a play pen too......I'm lost for what to do every day and we don't have proper door frames for a jolly jumper either :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• ahaha ok, I guess I'm just super Paranoid about him getting hurt. Thank's for the advice have a great day!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Nothing wrong with being paranoid when it comes to our kids!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:14 AM on Jan. 9, 2009