• In the Spotlight:

Does your husband wake up with kids in the morning?

I am a stay at home mom and my husband is a lawyer. I always wake up with the kids every morning while he sleeps. Recently I told him that I could really use some help getting the kids dressed, fed and out the door. He agreed and started getting up maybe 10-15 min. earlier. This morning I was extra tired when the kids came in my room -it wasn't early at all-but I was just tired. I asked him if he could sometimes help me when they come in first thing in the morning. He freaked out and said that, "I gave you an inch and you take a mile." I mean come on, his alarm was going off in a couple mintes anyway. I just want to know if husbands do wake up with kids some, even though they work a very long day. I think that I work an even longer day, but I just don't have to be a lawyer like him. I am very frustrated b/c I would SOMETIMES like to sleep "in" a little bit. Help!

MamaMaryD

Asked by MamaMaryD at 9:41 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I agree so very much! I am a stay at home mom also and I go to school online. My husband works but he DOES NOT help with the kids. I can't remember the last time I got to sleep in. Even on his days off he sleeps in while I still have to get up. So, I know exactly how you feel!
    ProudMommie87

Answer by ProudMommie87 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My ex NEVER got up w/ his own children.. My husband now gets up w/ my daughter now.. Of course he considers her as his own.. I guess that makes a difference.. We take turns, or if I just don't feel like getting up, he will get up w/ her..
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 9:48 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Well, this is kind of the same situation...but, my husband is in the army and I am a SAHM. My husband is special forces so he is gone A LOT. When he is home he has to get up at 5 am (for formations) and he is home at around 7am. (He has to go in again a little later) If he isn't training and working out, and he knows that I am just exhausted he will willingly let me sleep in for like 1/2 an hour extra. I don't usually ask him, but he likes getting our son up because he doesn't get to spend a lot of time with him. He does his little special pancake breakfast with him or whatever and then they come and wake me up. I mean, this doesn't happen all the time...but it is very nice when it does.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My husband get the kids up for school at 620 and will take baby in other room with him so I can sleep til he leaves for work. I look forward to sundays because he doesn't work that day and I get to sleep in! Until kids yelling wakes me up anyway. Last sunday I slept til 930! He also gets up in middle of the nite to bring baby to me when he wakes up. He is great.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 10:17 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• woah! I give you an inch and you take a mile??? That sucks...I'm sure you do a lot of favors for him when he's not feeling well or when he's just tired...maybe you can tell him you need the same every now and then. But to answer your other question, I'm the one that gets up with my son every morning, but if I say to my husband its your turn or I really want some more sleep he'll do it.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 10:22 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I do it all during the week. I get one day on the weekend where I'm "off". I still help out, but he does the majority of the work with the kids. He even takes over "monitor duty" and I don't have to get up if the kids need something during the night.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:24 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I was wondering the same thing the other day. I'm a SAHM and it always seems I'm the one who gets up in the middle of the night. I do it though because I want my husband to be rested for work. But sometimes I'm just tired of getting 4hrs of sleep, up for 2hrs and then 4hrs of sleep! He says for me to just wake him up, but then he's exhausted the next day. But would that truly be any different then how tired I am? I dont think it's wrong for you to want your husband to get up with the kids too. the way I see it, we SAHM have a very demanding job just the same as any other working parent. do you guys split weekend mornings on who has to gets up? Or maybe on the weekend after he gets up you could go lay back down for a few hours?
    good luck on getting more sleep
    nvedwards

Answer by nvedwards at 10:51 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My husband is a Marine. He gets weekends off and he ALWAYS gets up with the kids! They don't get up til about 8:30 and he says that is sleeping in for him compared to 6:30 so he is happy to do it. I get up with them once in awhile on the weekends so he can sleep in but he never will, he gets up with us. I guess he is just a morning person and he knows Im not so he likes to treat me to sleeping in.

Your husband is def not right on this one. You work longer hours than him, you never get a break or a couple days off. Im not saying he should always get up with them but that he should treat you once in awhile.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• THIS IS MY TAKE OF THIS SITUATION----SAHM, I BELIEVE THAT ON THE WEEKENDS THE DAD'S SHOULD GIVE YOU SOME EXTRA SLEEP-TIME, JUST TO CATCH U ON THINGS, BUT I DO KNOW NOT ALL DAD'S WILL DO THIS, THIS IS A TOUCHY SUBJECT WITH ALOT OF MEN, FOR MOST MEN ARE RAISED THAT ITS THE WOMAN'S JOB, ESPECIALLY IF SHE'S A SAHM, BUT I FEEL THE DAD'S SHOULD GIVE THE MOM'S A BREAK ESPECIALLY IF THEY'RE SICK, THAT TAKE PRESENDENCE OVER ALL RULES......................HELP THE MOM'S OUT DAD'S
    c.barbara

Answer by c.barbara at 11:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I get up here, I have always been the one to do it, and always will. My husband works, he gets up early and only get's a few hours in between shifts. The reality is I get more off time then he does, if I don't want to clean the kitchen I don't have to. He can't say the same. Would I love more sleep...HELL YES.....but after almost 17 years of never sleeping in (we have 7 kids) I am used to it. Plus I really can't sleep through the noise the kids make and the added fact that no matter how hard he tries he can not keep them from bugging me.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2009