Paying for tuition

I am a SAHM, and I am looking to go back to college for a couple of years so I can actually get a 'good' job. I've heard all kinds of things, but wondered how any of you college girls paid for it? We are one income famiy, with three kids...will I get any financial aid from pell/tap? I know two other moms with low income who were able to have pell/tap for almost everything, but they were single moms. I'm married.

McGregor

Asked by McGregor at 9:52 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• Pell grants are based off of you income verse your household size. Being single will not keep you from getting a grant, however your husbands income level may. I am a full time college student with 3 kids and a husband who makes decent money, and I get a pell grant, not a full ride, but I was able to get other scholarships and grants that cover all of my tuition, books, and then some. It is definately worth looking into. PM me I can give you some more info.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 9:59 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• If you're married it is a LOT harder to get a grant. They will count his income and more often than not, its too much to get you a grant. But then again they do consider you having children so it may work. Its worth a try for sure.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 9:55 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Sorry, I meant to say that being married will not keep you from getting a pell grant.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 10:01 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Believe me, just because your a single mom doesn't mean a whole lot when you want to go to school. I work but a don't make a lot and I still can't get help because I have a job. I was told by a college financial person to quit my job so the government will pay for my schooling. I have worked since I was 16 and I am now 45. I am able bodied so why not work. Fill out a FASFA form and with one income and 5 in your family, you may qualify for something. Be careful about looking for grants online because they claim to be government but they are scams. Your local library will have a book about grants and loans for colleges. They have everything from grants for men and women over 6 feet tall to Gay Airplane pilots! A lot of people get grants because they just plain lie about thier situation. I know a few who do. It's seems alot of times when your honest, you can't get anywhere.
    AbbysMom2001

Answer by AbbysMom2001 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• try scholarhips.com, the library and school resources to find as many scholrhips as possible. YOu may qualifty for stafford loans or work study. I thought pell grants were only for privates chools, but not sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jan. 9, 2009