Horrible diaper rash...HELP

Does anyone know something that help a really bad diaper rash go away quickly? My doctor gave me a cream to use but it hasnt helped and we've been using it for 2 days. I've tried Destine and airing it out as well. Nothing...

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 10:04 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let him go diaper free mama...Put down a large blanket that you don't mind if an accident happens on and let him crawl on that. Lots of air will help reduce the redness and some of the irratation. Sitz baths work well too and make sure you pat the area dry and let him go bottumless again. I've also heard wonderfull things about using corn starch to keep the area dry and I'll swear by the Bordeaux's butt paste. You can get it at pretty much any drug store these days.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• it might be a yeast infection..try lotramin ad..my daughter just had a really bad rash and that is the only thing that got rid of it..:)
    SummersMamma

Answer by SummersMamma at 10:07 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Cornstarch will keep the moisture off the bottom, has worked better for me than any otc meds.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 10:07 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My DD doesn't usually get bad diaper rash, but what works good for me is A&D ointment. Destine never works for me and leaves a werid white left over mess. So I would give A&D ointment a try.
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Just give it a chance...2 day's is nothing, If after about 4 day's it's still not clearing up..then tell your doc, ask if there's something else to try. Most of the stuff you get from the store isn't going to be good enough if it's a bad rash. How ever you could try corn starch, may sound silly but it's worked for all my friends and keeps the area dry too...I use sudocreme and my son has NEVER had diaper rash, he's 7 months old. When I see just a bit of red around his bum area, i put that on right away for about 2-4 day's and it clears right up!! GOOD LUCK.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• BUTT PASTE. it is the best stuff ever that i have found. my DD had a butt that was RAW and bleeding and it cleared it up in a just a day or two. and also Vitamin E pills....bust them open and put it on there bottom. Helped me....Good luck to you
    ToberzMama

Answer by ToberzMama at 10:09 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Maybe using the cream right out of the bath for better absorption. I use that aveeno creamy body wash fragrance free, its soothing.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:11 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Lotrimin AF twice a day.

Soak in a tub of water with baking soda (no soap) at least once a day, twice is better.

Don't use wipes, use a washcloth with water only.

Every diaper change (when you don't put on the Lotrimin) use a barrier cream (destin, A&D, etc)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:12 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Put aquaphor over the cream and upt a thick coating on at *every* diaper change to protect the skin. There are other *thicker* creams that cna be used. Ask the doc after a few days if the stuff he gave you isn't helping.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 9, 2009