Why Riot? It's not going to help

Have you heard about the riots that were sparked over the police shooting? I total understand that they are pissed, but starting to riot over it will only hurt more people then help the case of the man shot. I feel bad for the family and commend the mother for asking for peace. She must be dieing inside, but to still say "Hey guys, this isn't going to work. You need to stop." Shows just how strong she is. Violence because of a violent act is not the solution in this situation. I'm glad that there was a video of the act, because if not then it would have been the police's word over everyone else. And in the end what the police say is going to be takin over what others say. Hopeful that means that there will be justice! If he get's off even after the video, then I can see why people would want to riot.
Go a head an tell me what you think. Even if you don't agree with my thinking, I'd like to know. This is just how I feel.

CorCorsmomma

Asked by CorCorsmomma at 10:17 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It helped OJ....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It's ANIMAL nature!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• What? Where is this happening?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:27 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• People riot for several reasons. One is anger/rage and another is to bring attention to the situation. Negative attention to some is better than no attention at all. It's possible whatever shooting you are talking about would come to light but a riot will make it more memorable and easier to google. As far as the mom making the statement, my heart goes out to her and I'm sure she spoke from the heart but in some cases the police step in and ask them to make statements like that bc of who she is. Remember when they had Rodney King step in and make his statement for no more rioting? Ok, now where did this incident you spoke of occur so we can all go read about it and be enlightened?

Answer by admckenzie at 10:33 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• http://video.aol.com/video-detail/riots-break-out-in-oakland-over-police-shooting-of-unarmed-man/263490155/?icid=VIDURVNWS02

I didn't even think about the Riots in Greece over a different police shooting. And how did that help OJ. I was young what that whole fiasco was going on, but I dont remember any riots going on.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 10:34 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,478404,00.html

Sorry, it's from Fox...it's my homepage! LOL

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:35 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Uh, I thought the LA riots were about Rodney King's deal. OJ was a heart breaking thing. I lived in So Cal at the time and I don't recall a bunch of people rioting that he got off for murder.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:36 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Good point ADMCKENZIE. I can't say anything about the Rodney King incident because I have heard so many different sides to why it happen. I even have black friends that tell me he had it coming to him. BUT that doesnt mean that it should have happen. one guy and several police officers. I'm sure they could have got him restrained and in a cruiser with out beating the crap out of him.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 10:39 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• That would be it Lori. I don't know how to post a link... But the one I posted was a video... Just need a little copy and past action for it.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 10:41 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Corcorsmomma... FYI...to make a live link...

Select "Full Editor," paste your copied link, highlight it, click on the "link" icon next to font color, paste link in the "insert" field, click "insert."  :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:44 AM on Jan. 9, 2009