first child early?

Ok I'm just over 36 weeks along and i went in for my biweekly appointment. The doctor did a quick exam and she dosen't think ill make it past the weekend, had anyone else ever encountered this?

mamatobe1989

Asked by mamatobe1989 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My son, who is my first and only right now, was 3 weeks early. It's no big deal, and honestly I was glad to be done! You are already considered full term, it's just all about the baby gaining weight and whatnot.

teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It's not a good predictor of when you'll deliver to go by dilation and effacement. I'm surprised your doctor said that, unless she is wanting to induce you. I went 2 wks early, but because I was induced for health reasons. But I'd say most 1st pregnancies go late rather than early, but that's not always the case. Good luck girly!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:16 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• The first phase of labor (latent phase) can last for weeks! most women don't even feel any cramps or contractions. This is the time when most dilate up to 3 cm. As a doula, I've had moms hear this from thier docs only to become frustrated when they didn't give birth for 3 more weeks. Try not to get impatient or worried if you feel it's to early. Try to relax because the more you body dilates on it's own with out stress, the faster your final labor will be.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 11:22 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• With my first baby I was 37 weeks and had my weekly appt on a friday morning. She said i was not dilated or effaced and it would probably be two more weeks. A little later in the day I lost my mucus plug and at 9 that night my water broke. He was born mid afternoon on saturday. She was definitely wrong on that one. With my second the doctor said i would go early because I was dilating and already effaced to 90%. 2 weeks later and 3 days past my due date I finally went into labor. There is no sure fire way to know when you are going into labor. It is better for the baby to stay as long as possible. Good Luck!
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 11:24 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My first child was 11 days early.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 11:25 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I had my first at 36 weeks and it looks like i'm going to have this one early too.
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 11:26 AM on Jan. 9, 2009