How many ultrasounds are you normally suposed to have?

BooBearsMomma

Asked by BooBearsMomma at 10:48 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• 1 at 5 months, unless there is a problem or question.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 10:49 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Different practices do things differently so it depends on your doc. Less is best though. Try not to have them done unless it is truly medically necessary. keep in mind that someone gets paid every time you have one done too...it is a business.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 10:50 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I had one everytime I went, cause my doctor had machines. But I had to go to three at a different place because they had different machines. Those were called Level II sonograms, the machine can see a lot more, and clearer.

teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Ok thank you ladies! I was getting nervous because I saw on my dr's schedule that I was only having 2 or 3, and my friend mentioned she has one every month (she is a high risk pregnancy though) I had one at 6 weeks, but because I was bleeding. I feel better now!
    BooBearsMomma

Answer by BooBearsMomma at 10:52 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I think on average it is probably one or two most places, but there could be more if you or your baby needs more monitoring. I have also heard of OBs that actually do them at most regular appointments, but I think that is excessive.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:53 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I posted while you were responding - Yes, it is normal to have a lot more if you are high risk. I don't know how many I had with the twins, but it was a lot. With my single baby I ended up with 3 because of pre-term labor.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• i think its generally two. One really early on to confirm your due date and to make sure baby is growing like it should then again at 20wks so they can take measurments.
    However iv now had 3 two early on first one was cuz there was only a sac to be seen so he had me come back in at 11wks to see things again and then again at 20wks and of course our little guy is a squirmer and wouldnt stay still so i have to go back at 28wks. But typicaly its only about 2.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I only had one, at 26 weeks.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 11:04 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• i only had one and it was at 3 months.. and that was it..
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Normally only for the 20 week "survey" to find out gender and make sure everything with the baby is growing properly. With multiples, you get a couple more. I had 3. I had one at 6 wks to see how far along I was, one at 13 wks, because they couldn't hear a heartbeat with a doppler, and then the 20 wk survey.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:14 AM on Jan. 9, 2009