• In the Spotlight:

How do I get my teenage daughter to stay off the computer for long periods

My computer is located in the house where I can see her at all times and she only looks at the group Back street boys on youtube namely Nick Carter I have told her many times to take a break from it but the only time she does is to have breakfast lunch and dinner.  She is on it from the time she wakes up on the weekends until time for bed which is 10:00 and during the week after school until 10:00 I am about ready to have the internet shut off or at least unplug the power cord until she can use the computer reasonably... Please help she should be getting her exercise rather than sit on the computer all the time..... I told her that I would print out these pictures and put them in her room as wall paper .....Please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Who is in charge here? not to be rude but take away the usb cable, she doesnt get a choice she is a child and you are her parent. who cares if she throws a fit. what she gonna do later in life when her boss asks her to get to work...if she wants to succeed she will obey. its your computer, you bought it. hey maybe you should have her purchase her time on the net with allowance so she will understand there is no free lunch!
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Set a password so she can only get on it when YOU allow it. Its easy to set up an administrator password.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 11:00 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• first i would just try to have an adult conversation with her about it. tell her that there are other things that she can do. if that doesnt work tell her that ur gonna start setting a time limit and as the person said before set a password on the computer. alot of kids sit on their computers all day and never do anything else its becoming an epidemic
    killerbunny2008

Answer by killerbunny2008 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Tell her to get her butt off. Tell here there is a time limit..if she goes over she is off for a week or what ever. You're the mom.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I havce a cut off control thing on ours. I set a time on it and it automaticlly shuts off and has to have a password to turn it back on again. It only took about a week of using this to make my kids understand there are time limits.
    TammyG.

Answer by TammyG. at 2:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My answer is close to the same as some others. Set a password that she doesn't know and only allow her on when you decide she can be on. I would also set time limits. If she doesn't get off the computer when time is up, she loses the privilege all together for a set amount of time. I have four daughters and there is no way I would let them sit on the computer all day. Do you monitor where she goes on the computer? We have spyware on ours. I would monitor what she's doing and who she's talking to. There are so many ways to get yourself in trouble on the internet. Children, and that includes teens, need to be supervised. Bottom line is you are the parent. You set the limits. If she doesn't like it, too bad. Children are not always going to like their parents, but it's up to us to keep them safe and be sure they are doing what's good for them.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• simple...hit the computer cord. set the time limit after. I hit stuff all the time from my 14 yr old son. He earns stuff back. Not easy at first.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 9:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• lol...hide the cord is what I meant.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 9:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I agree with scanamey77. Be the mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2009