Has anyone had experience doing a cultural plan as part of their adoption?

Foster_Mom

Asked by Foster_Mom at 8:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2011 in Adoption

• Never heard of it, coud you explain it for me?
    lilsweetpea708

Answer by lilsweetpea708 at 9:15 AM on Nov. 30, 2011

• Sometimes, when adopting a child of a different culture or race, it is required that adoptive parents file a plan to show how they will raise the child in a way that respects the different culture of that child. It is more common in Native American and Eskimo adoptions, although is sometimes required in international adoptions from some countries. I was wondering if anyone had experience filling one out, as I am struggling with some of the questions on mine.
    Foster_Mom

Comment by Foster_Mom (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2011

• That's awesome!
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2011

• I love the idea, but our agency didn't have us do anything that formal. We just had to discuss some ideas for incorporating the child's genetic culture somehow, and go through a day of training where we learned how some transracial adoptees feel.

Our older child is 1/4 Native American and the tribe declined when they were offered the chance to place her with one of their own families. We have a copy of the letter in case we ever need it. We recently drove past the tribe's reservation on our way to visit her birth family. I want to learn more about the tribe from the people, and not just books. At the same time a part of me worries that someone may try to take her from us, even though it is final and they declined seven years ago.

OP, I'd love to hear more about this project as you complete it. Please do share!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 3:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2011

• We did one. On our own. Presented it to our child's birth mother. No one ever asked or thought of it. But it seemed like we needed one. So we did.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2011

• Just to add...we didn't have a name for it. I assumed every perspective parent presented how they plan to raise the child if given the opprtunity. It also included discipline, politics, education...I would want to know. We were encouraged to not talk about those things lest a mother be turned off. I figured if she was - well it wouldn't be the situation for us. We presented a comprehensive look at our lives and how we see encorporating our child's needs/background into the famy fabric.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2011

• What an amazing, thoughtful idea:) I too would love to hear more about this:)
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2011

• That's a very interesting idea. I'm not sure how it would work in practice for most children these days. I'd be hard pressed to write a plan for how to raise my genetic son in my OWN genetic heritage.

We actually baked traditional Czech cookies this past weekend, and he's decided that our ancestors simply didn't understand about sugar!
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 5:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2011