part 2 of my 16 year old

you've read my frustration over my 16 and her loss of interest in school. right now she lives in madison,wi with her dad. This is a temp. situation as I have not given up my rights as legal custodian. I told her that if her grades don't improve, that she's coming back to chicago with me and my husband. Should I go through with it or should I let her learn the hard way about what happens when you don't do what your suppose to do to graduate from high school. Some people told me I should bring her back, some have said if she wants to stay with her dad let her, then she feel the consequences of failing in school. What should I do???

need2rest71

Asked by need2rest71 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I personally think you should bring her home. The consequences of dropping/failing out of school can be detrimental to her future. I know b/c I was a drop out, and no one even tried to stop me. I am in college now, but what I wouldn't give for someone to have kept me in school!! I am not saying that she can't/won't succeed if she fails, but it could definately make things much more difficult than you imagine. As her parent we have to figure out what mistakes it is okay to let our children make and which ones need our intervention. I feel that this one really needs intervention.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 11:18 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• thanks for that jazak. I'm really thinking about doing that at the end of the school year in june. Your words were thoughtful and helpful. Who cares if she's going to throw a fit - I was bothered by that at first but I'm the adult, not her.
    need2rest71

Answer by need2rest71 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Bring here home, if you leave her there she will continue on the path she is on. But if you bring her back you will have better control getting her through school. I never believe in letting a kid learn for themsleves, if there is still something that can be done. School is her future if you give up on that....you give up on her future.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2009