enfamil lapil with iron and constipation

So I started my baby on enfamil lapil with iron formula milk about 4 weeks ago, and she drinks around 4ounces a day and breastfeeds as well, since she's started on formula, she's only been having a poop every 4-5 days sometimes longer and its kinda dark green and REALLY smelly lol, so I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Or if I should change formula, if so what kind would u suggest? Thanks I really appreciate any advice! :)

luschram

Asked by luschram at 11:13 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you can, change to a formula with the normal amount of iron. Iron constipates. If you are still taking prenatals, she should be getting enough iron from you breast milk and then a formula with a regular amount of iron should be enough. Don't worry about the poop every few days either. That is normal regardless at a certain point. I freaked out when my first child did that and then did some reading to find out it was very normal. Then my second came along and did the same thing which confirmed it for me.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 11:17 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Does hard round stools indicate constipation? If it's soft, then it's probalby OK. Smelly is b/c of hte formula. That's normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I had the same problem with my little guy. I switched to Enfamil Gentlease. No problems after that! good luck! =]
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Iron will change the color of the poop to green thats just wjat it does. I have my son on carnation(nestle) good start and like 1-2 bottles of juice a day and some fruit and rice cereal and he seems to have somewhat normal poops. Almost every formula will have iron in it but read the labels of each and compare them.
    cutieitalian829

Answer by cutieitalian829 at 3:40 AM on Jan. 10, 2009