Christians always feel close to God.

Do you think a Christian should or does always feel close to God? If you are a Christian, have you ever gone through a "drought" like David? A time when you just didn't FEEL close to God?

I saw this and thought it was good:
you should be prepared for dry seasons in your walk with God. They are bound to come. A life-long walk of faith requires trust and commitment even when you don't feel close to God. In these verses, David expresses sacrifices of praise to God in the midst of spiritual times of drought: Psalm 63:1 & Psalm 42:1-3

pwfaith

Asked by pwfaith at 11:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• pwfaith, I must say I have had a lot of these...sigh. Times have gotten so rough in my life I wonder if god is even there. But then I remember the poem "footprints" and I know that must be true because who else could I have survived the waaaaaay to many trials I have had already in my young life. I do believe god gives us what we can handle but I also wonder just how much I can take. Good Question!
    Anubis8733

Answer by Anubis8733 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I have the hardest time being a Monday through Saturday Christian!!!! So easy on Sundays when we go to the gathering and are in that community- but the rest of the week- it is kind of hard....I have to keep reminding myself! I have NO idea "HOW" to be a Christian - but some of the pastors at m Church are guiding me :) I am kinda new at this actaully trying to practice thing...BUT even though I am new, I always know that HE is there- when I need him, when I want to praise him, when I just want to say hello :) He is listening :)
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 11:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I've gone through my ups and downs too. I think it's normal and human. Feels and emotions are so wishy-washy lol I think it's dangerous to base ones relationship with God on "feelings". I went through a down period in college (bad break up) but I heard some songs by Cheri Keaggy that really spoke to me. I've kept them in my heart since then. They were on her My Faith Will Stay CD. Lay It Down & Sweat Peace of God. I use to love going to camp and retreats b/c I would come home with such a spiritual high, but what goes up must come ... down. I think that's what happens throughout the week to ppl. (as you said above, which I've experienced too) You go to church on Sunday, get your "spiritual high" and then "crash". I notice it the most when I'm not keeping up with my devotions throughout the week. Which I am currently struggling with, trying to do better.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 11:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I think that people who beleive in a higher power,Whether they call it God.. or whatever go through this at times. its the hardest to beleive in God when things are not going good.. People always ask WHY. Its easier to be close to God when things are going well. The true test is when trials are put on you.. THEN is when you see if you walk with God or not. Things in nature dont have this problem.. because they just Know. Its to bad people dont have this kind of knowing. Its human nature to question things even God when its a rough time. But always know.. rough times always pass.. and Something always comes along to make folks realize.. that their faith is strong.
    Alizure

Answer by Alizure at 11:16 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Everyone has to of experienced it, you would'nt be truly walking with God if you haven't:)
    binarystarr

Answer by binarystarr at 1:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I have. there's times that I part myself from God, as in, stop going to church, stop prayng full heartedly, and these times, I feel myself not so close to God. I feel myself distanced. And although I know he's listening no matter what, I can't get that "feeling" that he's listening. I'm sure some ppl understand me, lol
    3gurlsmom

Answer by 3gurlsmom at 2:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• You're right. As a Christian it is important to remember that our walk with God shouldn't rely on how close we feel to God. God is faithful and ever present and just because we don't FEEL close, doens't mean God has moved away from us or anything. I'm personally going through my own little drought right now. Never been through one before, but when I first accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior, mature Christians warned about this. So, it's comforting to know. C.S. Lewis mentioned it in the screw tape letters too. How the feeling of being to close to God comes and goes like physical hunger. But God is contant, even if our feelings are not.
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 2:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Well, in my 30 years as a Christian I never saw hide nor hair of god, nor did I hear his voice, nor did I ever know what he wanted because the bible and my church contradicted themselves so much. If you're meant to live as a Christian, you will find a way to believe whatever you need to believe about god and his presence in your life. Whether it's true or not is immaterial. Inner strength comes from belief--some believe from god and people like me believe it comes from ourselves.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 3:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Mother Teresa wnert many years through this and stuck it out till the end.. We can ll learn from this. Sometimes God does this just to see if we will still be faithful.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 3:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Draw close to JESUS and HE will draw close to you through prayer and bible study.
    yovonna

Answer by yovonna at 7:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2008