What worked for you when you introduced a bottle as a bfing mom?

6 week old here! Going back to work and school, and we're frustrated! We're trying Avent nipples, dad's the only one that feeds her. I would love to keep ebfing, but alas it's not possible. Unless she works her schedule around my work schedule. Meh....

rlemde

Asked by rlemde at 11:44 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try playtex wide mouth bottles with laytex nipple

my children all did not like silicon as it was too slick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I wiggle the nipple in my DS mouth till he gets angry at it and bites its then he realizes that there is yummy goodness on the inside of it and starts sucking.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• 2 of my kids were really particular about what type of nipples they used. Wouldn't take it if it wasn't the right one. So its kinda trial and error. If you are planning to switch to formula do Breast milk first in the bottle to transition easier. Also when they were almost asleep while nursing I would switch to the bottle. The other thing I would say is she is used to only you feeding her so now she is trying to get used to the bottle and dad feeding her. That might be part of it. Good Luck
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 11:53 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• i tried breatfeeding and after about 2 months ran out of milk. my daughter was very picky about nipples and it was really fustrating because i was still in school and had work. We found bottles that used the same nipples as the pacifiers they give in hospitals and it worked great. soothie is what they are called. After a while though my daughter got use to bottles and now uses evenflow.
    killerbunny2008

Answer by killerbunny2008 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• We used Breastfow bottles and never had any troubles with them.
    Other methods of getting her to take the botte- try when she is very hungry, OR try after she has breastfed for a little while and not as hungry... either may work depending on the baby
    Introduce the bottle when she is a little sleepy
    Leave the room when daddy is feeding her... FAR away.. she can smell you!
    I assume you are giving breastmilk... but if you aren't, pump some and give that.
    And just keep trying!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:05 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• when i started giving my son bottles, we started with an odiri bottle. it looks like a boob, and he got into it right away. then we transitioned to playtex drop-ins, which have the same shape.

i found it worked best when i was not around at first, cause he knew there was no option besides the bottle.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2009