Need Girl Scout Field Trip Ideas.

I'm new to this whole Girl Scout leader thing - but would like to take my Brownie girls on some field trips that relate to their Journey they are working on. The FOUR themes I am working around are;
1. how to better the world,
2.how they have the power to change things for the better for girls,
3. how they have confidence and knowledge to educate and inspire others, and
4. how they belong to a large and far-reaching world of girls.

We have patches for, caroling, global action, community service, emergency relief, toy drive, fire department/police station, science/nature, and an animal shelter...

There are also other activity patches I haven't looked at...

If anyone can help, that would be great. If anyone can give pointers, I feel lost.

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 1:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Every year after Halloween our school takes the 2nd graders to the local soup kitchen with the unwanted candy that everyone turns in. Take them to the food kitchen and let them see what it's like not to have food. You can collect cans of food and donate it to the food bank and deliver it. They always need help sorting the canned goods. By me that is a big cub scout project. They spend an afternoon sorting an entire dumpster of canned goods.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 1:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2011

• Which Journey are you doing? My girls are mid-way through the "World of Girls" Journey. Our sister troop is wrapping up the Wonders of Water Journey. Things my group has done or will be doing:

- Pet store tour. Our local Petco was AWESOME tour. Ties into the Pets badge in new handbook & World of Girls
    - Vet tour - we're planning not yet done. Ties to Pets badge which ties to World of Girls
    - Supermarket tour - got snowed out in a previous year. Rescheduling
    - Movie theater tour (for fun and they LOVED it! Tour and private screening)
    - Library tour - ties in to World of Girls
    - Marine Biology labs in our area - other troop did it and we will going forward for WoW journey
    - First aid squad/Ambulance visit - ties to first-aid badge in new handbok
    - Insect museum -Ties to bug badge in new handbook
    - Radio station tour - spring activity
    - Regional live theater tour - we have not done this but sister troops have and rave.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2011

• 1. how to better the world
    volunteer at a co-op organizing canned goods or just helping to clean up.

2.how they have the power to change things for the better for girls.
    3. how they have confidence and knowledge to educate and inspire others.
    For all of the above you could have you troop adopt a Daisey troop and do a craft with them. Maybe painting pots or something. send letters back and forth. Have your girls help the younger girls to learn a lesson from the handbook. Or teach them the pledge or even a few songs about friendship.
    4. how they belong to a large and far-reaching world of girls. visit different cultural events in your area. There are TONS here every year from Indian to Irish.
    Anonymous

• Last winter we borrowed the industrial like kitchen at an area church. The girls (along with some of our "Evergreen" Girl Scouts - aka old ladies.) baked dozens and dozens of cookies together. Each girl got 12 cookies to take home. The rest we donated to a non-profit that hosts temporarily displaced families within the church facilities. They provide meals and overnight accommodations. While we were baking our final batches we got a tour of the building used to host the overnights and the nonprofits day center, the food pantry, etc.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2011

• 1. how to better the world
    *volunteer at a retirement center---pair the girls up with a senior buddy and maybe do crafts together.
    *do adopt a highway if you have that program where you're at.
    *Make christmas cards for soldiers overseas. (not a field trip but could be a fun project)
    2.how they have the power to change things for the better for girls
    *Visit careers that are typically male dominated and let them visit with a female staff member.
    *Take a babysitting class
    3. how they have confidence and knowledge to educate and inspire others
    *Depending on age, have them teach a class in a subject they are knowledgeable about.
    *Do a ropes course
    *Visit an art museum
    4. how they belong to a large and far-reaching world of girls
    *again, not a field trip but a cool idea for a project---get penpals from a different country
    *Ethnic food fair/cultural f
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 10:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2011

• Thanks for the great ideas! I am presenting them all to the girls to let them choose. Keep 'em coming!!!
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Dec. 1, 2011

• I think it's the It's Your World, Journey. I am so lost. What ever just happened to good old patch books? I'm not getting much help from my area, including the head leader, right now. So, I'm just taking the reins and going with it. If anyone can tell me what books I need for this position, that would be great.
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 1:28 AM on Dec. 1, 2011

• Augsmom, why don't you PM me and I'll help if I can.

I haven't done the Brownie Quest (aka It's Your World) Journey yet but I think our council is offering it as part of the Brownie Encampment program this spring.

There are still patches. It's the brown loose-leaf looking binder. There between the set that starts in the binder and the add-on packets that tie to each Journey there's a good number of badges you can work through with the girls. The Journeys are what they are. :) I don't always like the suggested meeting plans as they come across too "lesson plan" and my girls lose interest quickly. We use those suggestions as a starting point and then make something more engaging from it. As long as the girls are getting the meat of the message from the program you're good.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:33 AM on Dec. 1, 2011