Did you know 2009 is the Year of Science?

All this year we will be celebrating Science and all that it has done for us. Feb. 12, will be the 200th anniversary of the birth of Charles Darwin. My kids and I will be celebrating that day by reading books on evolution, and taking a trip to the local zoo. Science Magazine is doing monthly features on the major questions of evolution. Here is Jan. article on the origin of life, written by Carl Zimmer. Check it out.

http://carlzimmer.com/articles/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1231454030&archive=&start_from=&ucat=11&

If you need kid friendly books on evolution, here is a list of the 89 best children's books about evolution.

http://www.charliesplayhouse.com/Bibliography.pdf

Will you be celebrating science this year? And if so, how?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 11:47 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh that's cool.

I probably won't do anything special. Maybe if there's something on TV about it I might watch it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:51 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Man, I sucked at science (well, in the HS years). My kids are young though and I can think of something cool to do with them that day. Thanks for the heads up OP.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Your welcome, but it's not just that one day though. There will be celebrations going on all year long, regarding all disciplines of science. You don't have to be good at science to help celebrate. Buy books on science and read them to your kids. There are plenty of easy, kid friendly experiments that you can do, to help show them how science can be used to observe, and make predictions about the world. One of the books I'm buying is called the Beast in You, and it has loads of activities and experiments that kids can do to learn about evolution.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I think this is awesome, after 8 years of our govt practically ignoring science it is good we are putting it at the forefront again.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Crap! A whole year? I am going to have to come up with some creative stuff. I guess I was reading your OP too fast.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I have a 5 yr. old in kindergarten so this will be a lot of fun.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 1:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Friday - YES YES I REALLY HOPE SO!!!!!!

OP - I did know it was, and my excitement led to opening a group about Science, I bet you would like it! The Science Spot :)
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 8:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• thanks sunmoonstars, I will look into that!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:31 AM on Jan. 10, 2009