DAY CARE!!!

So I went to pick my 10 month old up from daycare and there were three postings on the door, 1 confirmed case of hands foot and mouth disease, 1 confirmed scabies, 1 one possible case for ring worm. I cried the whole way home!!! Is this normal? Or am i just being too worried?

NandE

Asked by NandE at 11:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Daycare settings often have lots of viruses. It's pretty common. If that really upsets you then maybe you can try a smaller in-home daycare setting.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Sadly, it is the Norm.
    Kids / Babys these days bring in all sorts of problems to Day Care and the other children catches it. There is NO way to prevent it from happening, unless you find a in home sitter.
    Anonymous

• It is normal for daycares to have those problems. It is normal for you to cry all the way home too! Argh! Why can't life be more simple?
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 11:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• It happens from time to time. When they are that little, it's natural to worry. But, you will also very likely find that the rate of illness goes down as the child gets a little older. Their resistance builds.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 11:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Well - having had my children (at least my first 2) in daycare for five years or so, I have seen my share of viruses. They had coxsackie (hand/foot and mouth) a couple of times. Unfortunately being in daycare means they will get colds and viruses...the constant runny nose in the winter for instance. BUT, if you're noticing a lot of those signs maybe the daycare center isn't cleaning as well as they should, sterilizing toys, washing hands, etc. OR, maybe they're not being strict enough about sick children staying home until they are cleared for return by their doctor. You can certainly ask those questions of the daycare director...you are your child's advocate. Hang in there! I made it through the crying and worrying, you will too. :-)
    J-Go725

Answer by J-Go725 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• And just wait until moms sending their children to daycare stop vaccinating their children because they think their children will develop autism! Oh, and they can claim "religious exemption" even in the daycare setting to be able to attend without having to vaccinate.
    Anonymous

• HUN that is so sad,here we are forced to have 2+ incomes just to "get by" leave our children in places that normally take almost 1 of the incomes to attened, & then have to constantly worry about them, dr bills ~ it just pisses me off sry no help her just venting!
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 18, 2008