My 6 month old got my cough and has lots of phlegm...any suggestions?

I've been aspirating his nose. The mucus is clear. Took him to ER Wednesday night, they said his airways are clear and that the cough is localized and he had notemperature...he's not sleeping well though due to the cough. I know it hurts him...I feel terrible...please anyone have any thoughts?

Karina007

Asked by Karina007 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 6 month had those same symptoms (cough waking her up, clear snot) last week, I called the pediatrician and they said just to give her children's benadryl every 4-5 hrs, well the cough was getting much worse and I took her back this past Monday and they're treating her for asthma because her bronchial tubes are inflamed so she gets a breathing treatments every 4 hrs around the clock...not to scare you but I would call his pediatrician and get their opinion.
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My daughter had the same problems. She was born in winter and was always coughing and had snot everywhere. The doctor prescribed baby saline drops for her and it really helped clear things up. you just squirt it in his nose and the use a squigy to suck it out. Babies dont like it, my daughter would fight and scream but it really helps.
    killerbunny2008

Answer by killerbunny2008 at 12:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Try a vaporizer if you have one. If you don't, you could lay a hot (not too hot, don't burn baby) wash cloth over his chest to help break up the phlegm. Also rubbing Vick's VapoRub (think they have some for babies) a dab under his nose and a bit on his chest will also help. Just make sure you have a good sleeper on him when you use the VapoRub.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Taking him in the shower while you shower will help, also. The steam clears them up. I'd be cautious about giving your child benedryl without first talking to you pediatrician. I have heard vicks on the babies feet can work wonders. Good luck!
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 12:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My friend's son had a pretty bad cough a few weeks ago and I did what my grandmother always did...I laid him on his stomach on my knees and patted his back. That seemed to break some of the phlegm up and he was able to cough it up. However, my grandmother's methods sometimes are not the most sound, so I would check with a professional before you do this. I can't think of any reason this would hurt a baby, but you never know and its always best to be safe and sure!
    mambearwhitt4

Answer by mambearwhitt4 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• In addition to giving him extra fluids to keep the mucus flowing freely to do its flushing-out job, keep his head & feet covered with a warm hat & bootees(hopefully wool). Keep him generally warm so all his resources can go toward getting better. ... And here's a funny one - I don't know why it works, but it has been spectacularly effective with my kids: apply warmth to his stomach. If he were older, you could put a hot water bottle next to him in bed, tucked against his tummy. BUT he's too young for that, so maybe warm your hand on the hot water bottle and slip it under his shirt. Lay your warmed hand on his stomach, just below the rib cage - being careful, of course, not to let any draft get in among the blankets he is wrapped in to chill his back or anything. .... Alternatively, you could warm his tummy by sitting back with him in your arms and letting your body heat warm up his front. Best wishes !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• When my little girl had a cold I would sleep in the recliner so she was upright, you could also prop up pillows and let her sleep on you upright. It lets everything drain so she can sleep.
    alib232

Answer by alib232 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2009