Do you believe that fear increases labor pains?

I know I do! I was completely fine having full blown contractions until they told me my son's life was in danger and I had to have a c-section. Only then was I fearful and only then did labor begin to get a little painful. It wasn't overly painful even at that point but it was markedly more painful than when I was not afraid!

JasonsMom2007

Asked by JasonsMom2007 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yup! Fear is most of the pain.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 12:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Just happened to me and I ended up in the hospital... Thank god the contractions stopped bc I'm 33 1/2 weeks only. Although they told me if it was a few days more the would have let me deliver...
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 12:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Oh most definitely. I think stress and anxiety and fear can prolong labor and make it incredibly painful. Also, wanting to be in control 100% of the time can make it last longer. When you're fearful and anxious, your body tenses up. You need to be as relaxed as possible to make labor progress : /
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2009