Are there any LEGAL reasons to have that tinted panel over your license plate?

When I see a car with one of those on, I automatically expect them to be sneeky shady people. Maybe there are good reasons that you guys can alert me to so I can change my thinking. Aren't the whole purposes of those things to make your license hard to see? When would that be beneficial unless you were driving away from the scene of an accident or trying to evade the police? If your vehicle was stolen, wouldn't you WANT it to be easily identifiable?

RyleeMendez

Asked by RyleeMendez at 12:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Actually it's illegal, cuz light can reflect off of it and it won't be able to be read.
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure if its the same thing you're talking about or not, but my 62 year old mother has one on her car to prevent people easily stealing her registration sticker. She also takes a straight razor blade to it so that if someone does try to peel it off, it comes off in sections. People DO steal those. She isn't the least bit sneaky, she's just trying to prevent theft.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Ginger,
    I slice mine with a razor blade about 50 times. lol No one is going to sit there for 30 minutes to peel off every little strand of sticker and then piece them all back together. That's preventing theft. Making your license hard to read is illegal. What if some perve stole the whole CAR and then kidnapped some kid with it? People need to be able to see the number.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 12:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I've driven behind her before, both during the day and at night. I'm thinking her tint isn't that bad, because I have had no problems reading it. Either way, she's never been stopped for it in the 5 years she's owned this car, so I really can't say what the law is regarding it.

As far as slicing my registration sticker, it's one of those things I keep meaning to do. I know people who have had theirs stolen off their vehicle while it was parked in their own driveway.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I thought the license plate tint was to make the pictures on the red light cameras unclear, and avoid the ticket.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Yeah, I think it's to keep the cameras from being able to take a pic of your plate. It's not illegal, but either are fuzz busters.
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I've alway wondered that also.
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Huh, I never really thought about them.

I thank you for the hint about slicing the registration stickers, though. I never thought about that, either, but it makes perfect sense to me.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2009