When your adult husband behaves like a child.

My husband has anger management problems and he refuses to admit it. When faced with conflict, he cannot control his anger. Other people and myself have delicately told him that he has a problem. Finally today he called and exploded about something that happened at work (not at me, just venting with rage). He asked "Would a normal person respond this way?" I told him no. He continued to explain how he doesn't understand how it's a problem and anger is an emotion that is expressed. I told him that there are better ways for him to express his anger than going into rage. He got defensive and started in on me. I said "Look at yourself!" The conversation ended very shortly after because I refuse to deal with him when he acts that way. I don't pick the scab often because I'm non-confrontational, but I'm sick of him behaving like a child. He won't even answer my calls. How do I get the point across that he needs help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• OMG, I think me are married to the same person, sounds like my situation as well, if you figure out how to talk to him, let me know!
    Wishing you luck, God Bless.
    MommaB0334

Answer by MommaB0334 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I say "when you calm down, we can talk about it like adults, or lower your voice, I can hear just fine". I talk to them (friends have anger problems) like I would a child.. calm them down then gently tell them that I don't need to be yelled at when I'm not the one they're mad at, and that yelling never solves anything, nor the curse words. Once in a while I'll say something funny and they'll start laughing and then they're over it. I'm often caught saying "now tell me how you REALLY feel" and "hmmm and how does that make you feel?" and they'll start laughing.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 12:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I found this website for you maybe (after you read through it of course) just print it out at let him read it and see what he has to say afterwards, because while he is right and anger is just an emotion like any other emotion when mismanaged it can get out of control
    http://www.apa.org/topics/controlanger.html
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2009