11 yr old bedwetter help!

My 11 yr old son has a bed wetting problem, over the years it has come and gone a few times the doc always says he will out grow it but he is now 11 and I think it is psycological, my hubby thinks it is lazyness. It started when my hubby and I split up when he was 3 then got bad again when I had his first sibling (8) in the last three years we have had ups and downs without clear cut stressors. any ideas?

oicmommy

Asked by oicmommy at 12:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• to be honest this isn't that unusual with boys. bet his father was one too and was accused of being lazy.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 12:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I totally agree with Lyndall. As a solution I would wake him up each night just before you go to bed, or else set an alarm in the middle of the night to get him up to go potty. After awhile he will get up on his own to go. Good luck
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It's a very common problem with boys, and is inheritable. My brother had this problem until about age 14, his oldest son had problems until 14, his younger sons still struggles with it at 10. My son just turned 7 and I don't expect to improve any time soon. They are all very deep sleepers, extremely hard to wake up in the middle of the night.

My brother's kids were both put on medication starting around 7 or 8, and it definately helps. At least it allows them to go to sleepovers, camp, etc. We will be talking to my son's pediatrician about it this year -- did not want to start any earlier.
    cam.i.am

Answer by cam.i.am at 12:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• You are not alone. Many, many children have this difficulty, and there are a lot of support sites that deal with it. I've done some research there myself because my four-year-old wouldn't wake up even though his bed was soaking wet. Have you ever heard of bedwetting alarms? I hadn't until I visited one of the support sites. I highly recommend that you Google "Malem alarms" or a bedwetting support site to get more information. I learned a lot about what causes bedwetting and what can be done to solve the issue. Hope this helps! :)
    TexaBamaBaby

Answer by TexaBamaBaby at 1:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My kids hasn't had a problem with bed wetting, but I do know that my mother in law said she wet the bed up until she was a teenager. Some kids it just happens too, and they will out grow it.
    TammyG.

Answer by TammyG. at 2:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Have you tried the bedwetting alarms? They have a very high success rate. My parents used one for me when I was little (many, many moon ago!). Since bedwetting runs in families, I know I'll get one for my daughter if she has inherited this from me.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Doctor told me my 10 yr old was lazy........ Wake him up??? geez , I can barely wake up to go to work! No, really I wonder now... He seems to want to do the right thing but low and behold, sheets, mattress and jammies smell like peepee!!!!!, God Bless him, he is such a good kid in all other aspects.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• He's not lazy and will grow out of it my brother and his dad was 16 before quitting. His dad was called lazy and kicked in the floor for it. Very sad. My mom threatened brother with diapers thinking maybe he'd stop.But he couldn't help it so she didn't shame him into wearing diapers.She made him pee before bed time reduced liquids after supper.Bought waterproof protective sheets for matress and endured the washings.They never punished him cause his dad remembered his own trouble.I would try a chux disposable bed pad to lay under him reduce liquids after supper make him pee before bedtime and be patient.praise him for dry mornings and be silent about wet mornings.It will get better.I know it's frusterating and hard to understand.
    summerray5

Answer by summerray5 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2009