Do you have to deal with your health insurance a lot??

wow, it seems like health insurance and billing offices intentionally make it difficult to get a bill paid so that you will just say screw it and pay yourself...each time I go to the OB or any specialist relating to my pregnancy the health insurance only partially pays! I always have to call and remind them my benefits cover all visits 100% in order for them to pay..

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 12:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• ya our insurnace pays 90% of everything and havent had any problems. They didnt even make us pay last time... Good luck though..that sucks
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 12:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I work in medical billing, and a lot of insurance companies do make it very difficult to get claims paid and a lot of times the only way we can handle it is to get the patient involved. If you could only see my desk!

The only time I've had real problems with my insurance was when we were covered under two policies and the whole coordination of benefits was a nightmare!
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My husband works for a major insurance company in the claim department and it is a nightmare. It is just as difficult for him to figure out how to handle a claim as it is for the Dr.'s billing dept. and the customers. The insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying for services and make it so difficult to define services and payments that most people are so angry by the time they even talk to the claim dept. I can't stand it. We only have the minimum coverage offered by his job and I found a discount benefit company to help with our medical bills instead of paying for overpriced insurance.
    chickadee8654

Answer by chickadee8654 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Honestly no... My children have wonderful insurance. I've never so much as seen a bill. My husband and I have Ameriplan and an HSA... No need for insurance. Sorry for your stess!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Yes!! With over 200K in medical bills, I am on the phone with them constantly! I have been arguing about a bill since last February! I paid my portion but they won't pay theirs. It's been a nightmare. Then I to try to find out if certain equipment is covered for my special needs child... hahaha that is a laugh. Not one person at the insurance company can give me an answer!
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I battle with my insurance company all the time. I swear, it does seem that they do some of these things on purpose so that we'll decide it's just not worth the hassle and that we'll give it up and pay the bill ourselves. After years of this, though, I've become an expert in how they operate and I simply do not back down. Having to pay a $126,000 bill on my own a few years simply wasn't an option so I learned how to play the game. You have to be a thorn in their side.

I recently saw Michael Moore's "Sicko" and felt my story could have been included also. Sickening what the insurance companies in this country do. Where's the regulation?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jan. 10, 2009