smoking and with kids around!!

right now im staying with my sis-inlaw.. she nice cool and out going...
BUTTTTT!! she smokes in her house with 4 kids around her.. i have one and she has 3.. my husband try tell her to do it some where elas cuz my son has sometimes problems breathing and b/c it just bad to do it around the kids period...
oh and when u asked her to do it somewhere elas she said no cuz it her house and and she could do what ever she wants..
how can i tell her in a nice way to smoke some where elas and just not around the kids...
p.s she really dont care if she smoking around they kids she somtimes even smoke right next to her 1 yr old son and hes always getting sick .. she also has a 2 yr old and a 6 yr old... plz help
i dont want my son around her and i really feel bad for her kids.
>> how do i tell her and what do i tell her so she wont take it the wrong why<<
plzzzzzz help me

yamil519

Asked by yamil519 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would make a point...I would bundle your child up real good, and go outside until she is done smoking. When she asks what you are doing, tell her that you are doing what she should be...going outside when she smokes.
    Bring her home a packet about second hand smoke and smoking around children and how it is related to sickness...if she doesn't get the hint about her own kids, you can at least show it to her and tell her that this is why she can not smoke around your child.
    Regardless of it being her house, it is your child, and you need to do what you need to do to protect son.
    You need to find someplace else to live.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• it is her home
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I agree, though you may hate it...its still her home, all you can do is ask as a favor.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 12:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• your in a tight spot becuz it is her house i suggest you just take your kid out of the room when she is smoking. There isnt anything you can do to make her change her mind she is going to do what she wants and if you have already asked her and she said no shes not going to change her mind. Just try and keep your kid away from it as much as possible.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• but with 4 kids around her.. thats not good for those kids..
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Sweetie, if she doesn't stop smoking around her own children then she will not do that for your child. That is a fact. So you may want to find ways to better protect your son and his health while living there. You can have him play in another room while she smokes, you can buy some really good filters and an air purifier. But all that is really not much against living in a home where the person smokes all the time. Something is better than nothing. She is right, it is her home, so she can smoke. Nothing illegal about smoking in your own home and next to your own children. It should be, but should and Is are too different things. I wouldn't even bother to bring it up anymore - just do the best you can until you can leave that situation.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Do you think she does it out of ignorance or laziness?

If ignorance, use education - show her pics of damaged lungs, explain 2nd hand smoke, and health risks.

If laziness, find a new place for you and yours to live.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It's her house. If you don't want your kid around it...you should stay elsewhere.

Even if she goes outside, it's already in the house. The residue is in the drapes, on the furniture, on the walls, in the carpet, on the ceiling....

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2009