Son Sleeps in Our Room, Any Suggestions?

Our son was a..."surprise," if you get my meaning. My husband and I live with his grandfather and his grandfather won't relinquish the third bedroom (which he uses for about an hour in the morning, and thats it) so Davey sleeps in his crib with us. The only problem with this is, he knows we're there, so he babbles for us when he wakes up. And he ALWAYS wakes up at least once a night. I'm really just worried about getting him to sleep on his own when we move out, which we should be doing in a few months, hopefully. Does anyone have any suggestions for sharing a room with an infant? I love having him in our room, but its more for necessity then for co-sleeping, though. I guess I'm starting to go into circles so I'll cut this short-help!

mambearwhitt4

Asked by mambearwhitt4 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he's going to still babble even if he is in another room. it's a phase. it will pass, he won't be sleeping with you when he's 18 I promise. for now, you just have to deal with it until you can get your own place. is that in the future? we have a similar, but slightly different problem. we have our own house, but have two kids and need our 3rd room for storage/office because it is a tiny house. the plan was to have our two kids share a room, but our son also wakes up once a night, and since our older child is school aged, we want to make sure her sleep is not impaired. it is what it is. you just deal with it and this too shall pass.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 12:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I'm not sure how old Davey is, but an infant does BETTER sleeping in the same room with his mother - even sleeping beside her (that way both mama and baby get more restful sleep, too) Do read up on co-sleeping for lots of discussions about your exact question. Personally, I slept with our 3rd baby and it was HEAVEN compared with the first 2. ... Our middle son and his wife sleep with their baby between them much of the time, even though they do have a separate baby room and nice crib. ... Best wishes !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I also have a separate room with a crib, but my 8 month old has never spent more that 5 minutes in it. She sleeps between my husband and I. It really is easier for mom and baby!
    alib232

Answer by alib232 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My family makes me feel horrible for co-sleeping. They're always going on and on about how Davey's going to be too dependent on us and what not. He doesn't sleep in bed with us but thats because I'm the lightest sleeper in the world and wouldn't get ANY sleep (as though I get much now with him waking up and my husband snoring like a buzz saw) since Davey moves around a lot in his sleep. I'm glad I'm not the only one that goes through this! Thanks, guys!
    mambearwhitt4

Answer by mambearwhitt4 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2009