Giving childrens Mucinex to toddler?

DD has had a phlegmy cough for about 3 weeks, but we LITERALLY have no money to take her to the dr. This cold has been going around and lasting 3wks-1 month with adults and children in her daycare. She's not feverish or dehydrated; she's eating great, still playful, doesn't seem sick, other than her nasty cough. We've been running a humidifier at night. We can't take her to urgent care because when we had insurance, they didn't bill it to them and they say we owe them money. We simply have NONE- hardly enough to get gas to get to work. I read the back of the Mucinex for kids box and it says "2-6 yrs." She is larger than an average 21 month old, but still 3 months shy. Is it ok to give her the lowest dose? Anyone else done this? How potent is the medicine? Thanks!

mommy2danica

Asked by mommy2danica at 12:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • I would call your pediatrician for the best advice. They should let you know over the phone.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I wouldn't without a doctor's guidance.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I've used it with my son and i don't think it works that well. Saline drops in their nose works faster and better at least i think it does.
    mommyof11050307

Answer by mommyof11050307 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Mommyof11050307- How old was your child? And did the saline work with the cough??? I will try whatever is best and safe... I just need something.
    mommy2danica

Answer by mommy2danica at 1:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• my 18mo old daughter had same thing about a month ago. just a nasty cough (not the croup cough--that's distinct), but no fever, and no other symptoms. After 2 and 1/2 weeks I took her to doctor. She had bronchitis and needed antibiotics. My suggestion is if you can get her to any physician to be looked at do so. good luck!
    glksoap

Answer by glksoap at 1:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My son's pediatrician doesn't suggest anything over the counter at this age. For a cough, honey works WONDERS! Give your child 1 teaspoon and that should soothe his/her throat. Keep an eye on the phlegm though- you don't want it to become pneumonia!
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 2:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Thanks for the answers so far. About the honey- just plain honey? She just needs to eat it? I heard you weren't supposed to give honey or certain other things like it to them until later in toddler years because their bodies can't break down the sugars. I will run it by DH, though. If we had the money, we'd have already been at the doctor's over a week ago. The phlegm is clear, too, which I know is good.
    I don't know if I should be relieved or worried that she doesn't cough OFTEN. She does it more when she is sleeping and she has the humidifier running. I can hear her coughing stuff up whenever she does cough, but it's taking so long!!!
    mommy2danica

Answer by mommy2danica at 4:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I bought a Pedia Care plug in, it's like vicks but you don't have to rub it on so it doesn't run their clothes, it helped my sons cough and congestion...
    cmabbott

Answer by cmabbott at 6:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My daughter is 14 months and getting over a pretty bad case of congestion and what not.

Her pediatrician ok'ed small doses of mucinex for her--a teaspoon. It cleared her chest and she was able to actually sleep which helped her get better.

So, call her doctor and ask.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 11:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2009