At what age do they switch from a carseat to a booster seat?

Just wondering when I can switch my daughter to her carseat to just a booster seat.. and if anyone can recommend a good one. Everytime she falls asleep in the car, her head bobbles around and she looks so uncomfortable.

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 12:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I moved my son to a booster seat when he hit 40 pounds AND was tall enough for the shoulder stap to go over his shoulder and NOT his neck (40 inches min.). We went over the rules about how he can and cannot sit in the seat (no leaning) and when he can unbuckle (only after the engine is off). If he breaks a rule, it's back to the "baby" seat, which he's outgrown. Thankfully, he likes being a big boy and following the rules. So go by height, weight and maturity.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• You have to make sure what your state laws are...some are specific about the type of seat the kid has to be in.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I think it's by weight...
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• We live in California and she weighs about 35 lbs.. if that helps.
    I'm going to try to look it up. Thanks.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• in TX and DE its 30 pounds and 3 years old.
    mommyof11050307

Answer by mommyof11050307 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• The recommendation is to keep them in the 5-point harness of the carseat until they have outgrown it. Switch them only when you are forced to.

Booster seats are meant for grade school kids. Kids who are old enough to sit still in the car, to not wiggle around trying to get to a dropped toy or sippy cup. Little kids will still do that and the seat belt will end up in the wrong position. Heaven forbid you get in an accident then.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• And yes, each state has weight laws. What those laws mean is that it is ILLEGAL to have a child SMALLER than that in a booster. It does not mean that a child larger than that number is safe.

For her sleeping issues, get a car trip napping pillow. You can find them in the travel section of Walmart or Target. They are U-shaped and go around the neck, helping to stop the "bobbles" when the child is asleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• When their big enough. They recommend a 5pt harness until 40lbs. They do make booster seats with harnesses. We used them with our kids. My son was in one just before turning 4 because he was over 40lbs and sat well in it (he's a big boy). Our girls used the 5pt harness until they were 6 and 5. Our almost 3yo is still in her toddler seat and will probably go to the booster with the harness straps when she's 3. She's no where near 40lbs, though.
    Technically our oldest should still be in the harness straps. She's 8 1/2 but barely weighs 40lbs.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I believe not before they are 4 years old and 40 lbs. Check the laws in your state. My 2 yr old weighs about 36 pounds but he is not mature enough to be in a booster with a seat belt. He still falls asleep in the car and would most likely not be able to sit in the seat properly for a whole car ride. He rides in a Graco Nautilis and it's only $150 at walmart. He can be in the harness till 65 pounds and then it will go to a high back booster and then a low back booster up to 100 pounds. Harnessing is safer but if you don't agree with it then at least check the bare minimum requirements in your state.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I hate to think you'd wanna move her.... trust me- she's prob. more comfortable than you think. PLEASE KEEP HER IN A CARSEAT WITH A 5 POINT HARNESS- IT'S SOOOO MUCH SAFER!
    Anonymous