Should political donors be allowed to remain anonymous?

In Calif opponents of gay marriage are asking to be allowed to be anonymous to protect themselves from any harrassment.

Do you think this should be allowed?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/01/08/state/n172303S97.DTL&type=politics

Friday

Asked by Friday at 12:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Personally I think the people have the right to know and be able to support or boycott businesses that disagree with them. I also think anyone who breaks the law, as in making threats or causing personal/property damage should be prosecuted to the full extent.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• nope. Political donors should not be able to remain anonynous.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 12:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I disagree with them, but still feel they should retain their rights if they feel they will be persecuted for their beliefs.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Oh goody! Then does that mean Obama will be disclosing who the entities are that are responsible for all of those "foreign" donations?
    Anonymous

• No, I do not think that any candidate should have the right to have anonymous donations to a national or local campaign. I do think that a full disclosure of even members who donate to a group should also be listed. Some groups are created to mask who is really behind the donations. Every donor should be listed over a certain dollar amount. I'm not talking about Jane the Stay at Home Mom who donates a hundred bucks to her candidate. But something like donating over X amount and knowing how many times that donation was made would be helpful. To some extent that is what the law is....its just there are creative and sneaky loop holes that all sides dance around.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:05 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Don't care either way. My church has been tagged by gay activists because of Prop 8. We are not a political church and stayed out of this but we still were targeted. I can see why many groups want to stay anon. They will be tagged and get to watch lesbians make out in their parking lot like we get to on Sunday mornings. We have had rotten food throw at our cars and tires have been slashed. Yet we are the insensitve and intolerant ones.  We did nothing but get harassed.  Classy group. 

Anonymous

• I think that any dollar amount donated should have to be accounted for and up for public record. I donate to Planned Parenthood, and I expect that they should have to turn my name in to to the IRS and you have a right to know where the cash comes from.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I hate anonymous, especially where politics are concerned.
    KC33

Answer by KC33 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2009