is it normal for a 14 month old to refuse to walk? i know he knows how he just doesnt like to. what should i do?

danielle1015007

Asked by danielle1015007 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you keep shoes on him? If so, take them off. I bet it will help.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My 15 month old also wont walk. He will if we hold his hands or is behind a push toy, but that is it. I have heard it is normal and not to worry.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 12:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• my fourteen month old walks but i guess some days she just feels lazy and will start crawling again. lol it will happen just let him do it in his time and if he is using push toys to help then it should be no time at all
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Put some of his favorite toys just out of reach, so that he HAS to stand up and/or walk to get them.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I wouldn't worry--he probably has his own reasons why he's not ready yet. Just keep encouraging and smiling and pouring on the praise when he does!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:21 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Normal age to walk is between 12 and 18 months. Does he cruise the furniture? Connor didn't walk on his own until about 18 months, so don't worry too much about it.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• both of my boys walked at 15mo
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• my youngest was 15 mos so don't worry, it just takes some a little longer than others
    TBKSuperMama

Answer by TBKSuperMama at 2:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Keep encouraging him to crawl. Give him space to crawl and explore. And give him books to "read". This is exercising a part of his brain that has to do with reading skills later in life. Babies can only learn one thing at a time really. If he knows how, but refuses, don't push it. But definitely "go for a walk" now and then by holding his hand(s) and helping him along. This will show you support him, too.
    Ophy

Answer by Ophy at 2:18 PM on Jan. 9, 2009