My 14 yr old is having violent outbursts mainly toward dad

He has had three violent outbursts in the past two months. He started swinging fists at his dad last night. He was 2 hrs late coming home, dad went looking . He came in the house took his shirt off and started swinging. My husband wrestled him to the floor and held him down until he stopped swinging. I dont know what to do . He has been on adderol, concerta and now were waitiing for two meds to be approved by ins. I dont think I could have him locked up it would kill me. But I cant have this violence in my home and wont. My options are get rid of one or the other. Any advice?

DIANE463

Asked by DIANE463 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I am not too familiar with this but have you tried taking him off completely and talking with him?

That does  not seem normal, Is there something in his life that he feels bothered, threatened with?

Talk to your doctor about this behaivor, or ask him to prescribe something else that will calm him down alittle. I pray all goes well GLgood luck

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I don't know that much about the medication he is on or what medical condition he has? But you definitely have to look deeper and check with your dr. Why was he home 2 hours late the other night? Were you aware of where he was and with who? If not, did he tell you later? From my personal experience with a teenage boy, are you sure that he is not experimenting with drugs or other over-the-counter meds? He is at the age to start worrying and wondering. Hope this doesn't offend your family by mentioning use of drugs, etc., but this is the world in which we live. And, as parents we have to rule everything else out if possible and watch for the signs and physical aggressiveness is not something any family should have to tolerate. Best of luck and feel free to message me and give me more info on the situation and I'll try to help further.
    Squirrel1001

Answer by Squirrel1001 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• ADHD?? or ODD?? My son has the combo of both....so i'm a bit familiar. I do agree with Squirrel1001....it could be drugs. Mood swings and violence and change of attitude do suggest that. Is he in counsiling??
    TylersMom323

Answer by TylersMom323 at 11:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I have ADHD and I know when I DON'T take my Adderall I get really frustrated and violent. I'm also only 20 so I can kinda relate to the kid. I used to be pretty angry when I was 12-18 and would sometimes get pretty violent, throwing things and whatnot. I had severe depression and was just going through some tough stuff. I would suggest taking your son to a counselor (one that is not biased, like my parents did to me by taking me to a Christian counselor) and having him talk it out. Maybe you could do some parents/son meetings so there is someone to help you guys discuss things in a healthy, positive way :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Talk to your doctor! IMMEDIATELY!
    Reener

Answer by Reener at 12:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Violent outbursts usually disguise an underlying issue, he should be speaking to a therapist or psychiatrist. A teen taking swings at his father is not really grounds for "locking him up" (rarely an option anyway), nor do you have to get rid of his father to make him happy. Help him find the seed of his anger.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• He's not ADD- he could be bi-polar. Ask for lithium.
    vmariehogan

Answer by vmariehogan at 8:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• If they aren't ADD/ADHD- the Adderal & Concerta could react in a negative way. It has stimulants in it. Get him off that! My child was not violent- but does everything else wrong. Can't sleep for a week- that lowers his energy- too much energy the next week- can't focus inbetween- mood disorder. We got Lamtical but very expensive. Works good though. You can ask for lithium- it's the older cheaper version. Lamtical is new & patented- that's why so expensive.
    vmariehogan

Answer by vmariehogan at 8:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I have had the same things go on with my son. They thought he was ADD and put him on the meds that you talked about and he threatned suicide because he was not ADD he has OCD and Anxiety.They tried meds for that and he got worse on them to .I dont trust meds.. He is starting a new Phycologist in Feb. so hoping that will help. His anger is part of his OCD and anxiety. Also im a single mom who his dad dont want any thing to do with him. And i know that hurts him. His dad is BI POLOR but dont think he has and problems.
    magie43

Answer by magie43 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• thank you all for your advice. I have called his dr. and we have a counseling appt set up. I dont know where his anger is coming from. His dad and I have been together 17 years so its not like he hasnt been here the whole time. And hes not abused so i dont no where it comes from
    DIANE463

Answer by DIANE463 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2009