Anxiety after birth?

I guess I have always been a worrier, but not like now. Since my baby was born 6 months ago I have had a lot more anxiety. I worry about little things, big things, and things I have no control over. I worry that something will happen to me, my husband or my mom and my daughter will never get to know us. I worry something will happen to her and it will be my fault. I feel like I'm always worried now. Sometimes it is the house not being clean, laundry building up, work piling up (I work from home), etc. I could go on, but I will end with saying I'm so happy and nothing else major besides my daughter birth has happened . I love my baby, my life, my husband, and I do not think it is PPD. I also do not have panic attacks or anything. Has this happened to anyone else? Did it go away on its own? If I breastfeed can I take anxiety medication?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you think your anxiety is clinical, mention it to your Dr. but from the symptoms you've mentioned, I'd say "Welcome to Motherhood"!

I'm a mother of two, and I had 5 years between them. All that worry had finally started to drift away, then I had another. Now I have two great kids, a wonderful hubby, yet I think I'm crazy. LOL You'll figure out that your sanity is a fleeting thing, and you didn't need it anyway.
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I would talk to your OB about it. It sounds like it might be linked to PPD... you might not be depressed, but the anxiety might be caused by the same thing. Either horemones or maybe your Thyroid.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• If you think your anxiety is getting out of control, then it probably is.... good for you for recognizing it~

there ARE safe meds to take while breastfeeding. I'd call your OB/GYN or your family doc/baby doc, and discuss with him/her....

and mom, it's OK for the housework to pile up, for the laundry to stack up, for you to feel concerned about loved ones, but if it is becoming overwhelming thinking about it.... time to get help. Either medications, or give up some of the responsibilities you have!! Easier said than done....I know!! hang in there!

frasermom23

Answer by frasermom23 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I think it is perfectly normal to worry a lot more after having a baby. Its like your maternal instinct protecting from potential harm. I worry all the time now about everything!! Just take a deep breath.
    alib232

Answer by alib232 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• There is such a thing called postpartum anxiety disorder. It can or cannot accompany postpartum depression. It's up to you whether or not you are comfortable taking antidepressants while breastfeeding. You'll have the support of your doctor should you choose to take them, as there are many that have a safe history being used in conjunction with breastfeeding. Listen to frasermom's advice. She's spot on. We need to realize what our "new normal" is after the baby comes. If that means the laundry gets done less often, so be it. If that means that we need to demand the participation of others in household duties, so be it.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I totally hear ya mama.. I'm the same way- and lots of people tell me I worry too much (which doesn't make it better) but I just go on.. take it day by day.. it's really all you can do- with antideps. and such things your milk can decrease a lot- so take a deep breath and enjoy the ride.. :)
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 9:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2009