vaseline in hair...HELP!

ok sooo my daughter had/has lice which i was treating well my mom heard that someone covered thier kids hair in vaseline & showercapped it overnite & that got rid of it, so thats what she did to my daughter! so now my dilemma is not the killing lice but how to get vaseline out of her hair, i washed it 7 TIMES this morning & it was still gooey...HELP its SO GROSS!

beachmom0703

Asked by beachmom0703 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Health

• I would try baby oil. It will make it congeal and than I would just wash it out.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 1:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• let it dry from the water and then coat it in shampoo before you get it wet. The water isn't letting anything adhere to the vasoline. When I was about 7, my sister's put vasoline in my hair, and that was the only way my mom got it out.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Try Dawn dishwashing soap. My dad swore by it for getting grease and oil out of his clothes so it may work on the Vaseline (which is basically an oil). Then wash her hair with either a shampoo for oily hair or a daily clarifying shampoo to get the rest out.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Use the Dawn or Tide Laundry Detergent. That will do the trick, guaranteed.
    haroldswife

Answer by haroldswife at 3:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It takes time. We used vaseline on my daughter's scalp once because she has seborrhea and it was the only thing we had on hand, and it wouldn't wash out completely. We waited a couple of days and then it was easier to get out (I'm guessing we didn't use as much as you, though!).
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Dawn dishwashing liquid will work, BUT, if you have even 2 eggs left, they will hatch and could reinfest her. I leave the vaseline in and wash her hair regularly everyday. Just slick it back. By the time it washes out, the new hatches will be dead. Eggs take 5 days to hatch. Comb her everyday with the lice comb. I feel your pain, I've had to do it before.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2009