Should I give my 5wk old formula at night to help her sleep?

She is up screeming all night. She only stops to breastfeed. I have another child that is 14 months old and has been sick off and on for a month. I am at my whits end and I need some help/advise.

ejh

Asked by ejh at 1:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you could try but it might not work.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• We tried it... it didn't help. Try getting her cluster feed before you put her down for the night... it might help you get a longer stretch.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• i heard that switching back and fourth from breast to bottle can cause nipple confusion, and switching from breastmilk to formula can make their tummy hurt so it might make it worse! try gripe water if you havnt already, its a natural liquid made from teas and stuff and it tastes like black liquorice and just the taste of it used to calm my son. it works wonders!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 1:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I gave my kids formula at night to keep them full and they didnt wake up that much, maybe 2 times a night
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My daughter could switch easily back from bottle to breast, I pumped so hubby could feed her sometimes, but if you give formula during the night, it could mess with your milk suppy, so if you plan on breastfeeding for the long haul . . . I wouldn't do it. I understand your pain, though. Things will get easier soon.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• BAbies just like to suck on things try an binky
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• hmm, it might work. When my daughter was 5 wks, she would wake up every 2 hours for a bottle. And she was exclusively formula fed. If soulds like she may be a little colickly. There really isn't a cure for it, but you can try putting some gripe water in her bottle and see if it calms her. I know, if can be so exhausting. Good Luck
    Anonymous

• I would not give formula. I gave my baby a pacifier, she self weaned from it at 6 months. Also if she is not sleeping in the bed with you that will probably fix it pretty quick.
    alib232

Answer by alib232 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Please, give her formula. It's the best for her in terms of you getting better and being able to take care of your younger child, too.

I have 3 under 3, so I understand. Sometimes you just have to.
    Anonymous

• NO. Very normal for a baby to breast feed much of the night. It won't help her sleep any better. Don't ruin you breast feeding relationship with your baby because of this. Motherhood isn't easy.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2009