dogs fighting

I have owned my two dogs for over 5 years. One is a pit/lab mix and the other is a lab/retriever mix. For some reason they have started fighting all the time. They were raised together as puppies. I am wondering if anyone might have an idea why all the sudden they are fighting with each other. If you don't like pits and only have mean things to say about them please do not respond.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Pets

• are they 2 of the same sex and fixed. also they may both be fighting for dominance maybe you should do some leadership excersises
    jhj4ever

Answer by jhj4ever at 1:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• They are of opposite sex and both are fixed. They are very obedient and very well trained, exercised. I don't know where it is coming from and our vet is not giving us any suggestions either that is why I have asked the question here to open my mind to other alternatives. Their fighting has gotten so bad that this morning my husband and I broke up their fight and he was bitten and needed stitches. I don't want to get rid of them, but I also have to think because I have a baby that is due in a month. Just open to any suggestions because these are our babies.
    Anonymous

• sometimes dogs that live together change their "roles". i grew up with siberian huskies, and there was a definite "role" that each one played in their pack. the momma dog was definitely the alpha dog- every one of the other dogs respected her. if two of the puppies fought/played with each other too rough, she would walk over to them or bark and they'd stop or take it away from her.
    so what i think might be happening is that one of the dogs wants to take over as the alpha dog, and the other one is not relenting. i would strongly suggest talking to a dog behaviorist. especially with a little one coming soon, you do not want to take any chances. i couldn't imagine having to choose one dog to give away, or both! so please talk to a behaviorist.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I would call a canine behaviorist to come evaluate your dogs and your situation to hopefully help you come up with a solution. You can find behaviorists at www.apdt.com.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:21 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Well I really hope you see this response. Dogs may start fighting for a number of reasons. You need to have a behaviorist or a dog trainer that specializes in aggression visit immediately. I had a dog that wasnt aggressive and never fought, but when i brought my baby home she tried to take a bite out of her- dont risk it
    Anonymous

• i have 2 pit/lab mixes. they play fight but are yours fixed? if not, you need to. the fighting will stop
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I have a boxer that is 4 and a pit bull that is 1. If there is a difference in age then the youngest wants to take the oldests place. We got our pit bull when he was a puppy and we have another dog also a pointer/ lad mix they were fine but when the pit got older actually a few weeks ago the boxer and him started fighting. So it's more so a control factor of leadership.
    JulieN17

Answer by JulieN17 at 1:18 AM on Jan. 12, 2009